Chapter 7

The loud shrill ringing of the school bell broke Maya out of her dreamy state. She picked up her school bag and followed her friends to the school cafeteria for lunch break. 

As always she got herself a bottle of banana milk and joined her friends at their usual the table.

From her bag she took out her lunch pack that was neatly packed with ham and cheese sandwiches in courteous of her mom. 

Maya immediately took a big bite out of her sandwich and had to stop herself from growling and tearing the sandwiches as the delicious taste hit her.

Jasmine, her friend since freshmen year, "You okay Maya?" 

Maya nodded mouthful. 

Jasmine, "You know you look so different, like did you get taller?" 

Maya chewed nervously. 

Sandy, another friend since freshmen year as well, "Yeah, you sure you're okay? Cause your forehead still feels hot."

Maya gulped her banana milk while trying to think of an answer. 

Nora, a friend who joined the crew at the start of sophomore, "I'm just so jealous you got to stay home for two whole weeks. I would have moved the fridge to my bedroom and lived like a potato."

Maya laughed along with her friends, "Well aren't we glad you weren't the one ill." 

She turned to the other girls, "I'm fine girls. Trust me, if I'm not, my parents would have not let me leave the bed."

Before her friends could reply they heard a, "Hey Valley girl." 

The girl group turned to see Quil waving and walking towards a table. 

Maya smiling widely, "Hey Quil."

Jasmine, Sandy and Nora's head snapped to Maya. Maya smiled sheepishly at them. 

Embry, who walked by, placed his large hand on Maya's head and started messing up her hair, "Sup Maya."