Chapter 3

Maya sat beside her mom, Jean, on the couch. Her mom had her arms wrapped around Maya's shoulders in a protective yet comforting manner. Maya gave her a smile and leaned into the hug. Maya's mum did give the best hugs. Her Dad, Daniel, was currently engaged in a yelling match with her grandmother Cora.

Dad was somewhat yelling "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? WHAT THE HELL? DO YOU EVEN HAVE BRAINS?" 

Grandma was replying, "ME? YOU ARE SO STUPID! CAN'T YOU SEE THAT MY GRANDBABY HAS BEEN BLESSED BY THE SPIRITS?! SHE IS NOW A WARRIOR!"

Maya looked at her father in concern, he was turning red, Dad, "I'VE HAD IT WITH YOUR DUMBASS SELF! TRY ME YOU OLD HAG! SAY ONE MORE WORD AND I WILL PERSONALLY BURY YOU WITH YOUR SPIRITS!"

The next thing everyone sees a slipper flying over and hitting Daniel in the face. 

Grandma smiling, "I've said it before and I will say it again Jean, the man you married it a cornfaced loser." 

Just as Grandma said that Daniel threw the couch cushion but Grandma was quick to dodge it.

Maya tried to ignore the loud hollering laughs coming from outside her house windows. She took a peek before the argument had begun and noted that it was, Embry, Quil and Paul. Clearly they were enjoying her Dad and grandma fight. Sam pointedly ignored everything and was using her landline to talk to someone. She was guessing it was Billy.

Maya was just glad Max was at school and did not have to witness this family drama. Maya turned to look at Sam once again. Sam locked eyes with her and gave her a small tired smile. She was however already smiling. She turned to see the Uley Gang outside and the boys were clearly trying to get her attention by making funny faces.

She tried not to smile too much but it was impossible. She broke out in little giggles causing the boys to whoop out in joy. 

"SHE'S SMILING AGAIN!" 

"ANOTHER ONE!" 

"I MADE HER SMILE!" 

Maya turned to her mom, "Mom, what's happening to me?" Daniel and Cora stopped arguing to look at Maya. Sam hung up the phone just in time to listen to the conversation.

Jean smiled while blinking her tears, "Nothing baby. You're doing great. You're not sick anymore." 

Maya bites her lip. She turns to look at Sam then turns back to her mom and says quietly, "But I have a tail."