Chapter 1

Maya Valley likes to think of herself as a quiet girl. As a regular girl. As a normal girl. However, she was a weird girl. She knew that she was very weird but she chooses to ignore that side of hers with a weird smile. Maya unlike normal people had a weird behavior. Smiling.

Maya always had a weird smile on her face for no reason. She'd wake up in the morning and immediately starts smiling. She smiles when her dad and grandma are glaring at each other. She smiles when her brother fakes a fever to trick their mom into letting him stay home. 

She smiles when her mom would sigh tiredly and grumble about not getting to watch her favourite soaps. She smiles when she does her homework. She smiles when she accidentally steps on dog poop. She smiles when she's sad. She smiles when she's clueless.

The very few friends she had, thought of her as "Different but acceptable". And she was okay with that. Maya liked minding her own business, never to pry if her friends were crying over a silly heartbreak. Maya never likes to sit and listen to pointless gossips about her cousin Leah Clearwater or who was going to be the next victim of the random deaths happening in Port Angeles.

But most importantly Maya stays clear from trouble. Maya would turn her face away when she hears a heated argument. She walks away if she sees a fight happening in school. She only places herself in a happy and peaceful environment. And she does it with a smile. That's how normal she likes to be.

Maya lives in the reservation with her parents, Daniel Valley, Jean Valley, her grandmother, Cora Clearwater, who was a council elder and her little brother Maxwell who was eight years old. She lived in a comfy two story home that perfectly housed the five of them. She attended the local reservation high school.

High school was something Maya enjoyed going to. Not only she managed to achieve beyond expected grades but she was also well liked by her teachers and peers. Maya has a simple time map of her life planned inside her head. 

She was going to finish high school education followed by college and a university education. After her education she would choose either a carefree teaching career or a travelling translator. And she was going to do it smiling.

Maya definitely did not want to turn out like someone from the "Uley Gang." Now, Maya was not someone who would idly sit and gossip but it was hard to miss a bunch of half naked people loitering outside her school or just walking into a bear filled forest nonchalantly. It was also sad to see her cousin Leah and Seth were part of this gang. 

Maya did not understand the type crushes her friends had on the Uley Gang. Most of her friends would talk pointlessly about how "tall, dark, handsome and mysterious" they were. Maya found them odd, dangerous and silly.

Odd because the Uley Gang always moved like a herd of sheep. Dangerous because, she along with many other students and teachers have witnessed how the Uley Gang would randomly "growl" like a dog. Or how they would have this body trembling as if they were losing control of their sanity. Silly because who walks around shirtless in is type of a weather?

And that is why Maya made no eye contact with them. Never gave them a second thought. Honestly answered her friends that she did not have a crush on any of the members in the Uley Gang. In fact she did not have a crush on anyone. But most importantly, she was determined to stay away from the Uley Gang. And she was going to do it with a smile.

But her perfectly normal life came crushing down when she fell ill with fever and flu. The fever burned her to 102. The coughing made her throat raw and sore. Her nose clogged with mucus. A pounding headache. Watery eyes. Bones that felt so heavy every time she moved to get comfortable. 

Then suddenly she felt her baby fat from her cheeks shrink. She felt her breast swell up and become sore. She could have sworn she felt her hips change, going wider. Her calves felt like they were being squeezed. Her shoulder blades had too much off weight on it for no reason. Even the tips of her fingers felt tingly.

Her parents were so worried. A doctor made a house visit and prescribed some medication. Her grandma insisted that ginger tea would cure her. Her brother kept on sneaking her banana pudding and cookies. The sick days went on for two weeks.

Then, one day, when Maya woke up from her deep slumber, she felt strange. Different, but better. The weird smile crept onto her face. She pushed away her sweaty blanket and stretched. She took a very, very, very deep breath in and exhaled loudly. Her nose ticked. Then it twitched.

Before she could even bring her hands up to cover her nose, she gave out a loud volcanic imitated violent sneeze. Automatically she brought her hands up to cover her nose to hold the snot there. She needed a tissue as well. But it was strange. Instead of her own hands, she could only see paws.

So what do you guys think? Good? Could have been better?