𝒔𝒊𝒙𝒕𝒆𝒆𝒏 , riddled

riddled

riddled

Two bodies lay on a single bed, miles apart from each other, one soundly sleeping, the other, not so much. Scott had asked for a movie night, something that the two of them had always done, a little less since the change in their dynamics, but nonetheless, when he had asked her, it was an offer she simply couldn't refuse. He needed a night of peace after what had happened to his dad, even though the man was home now, healing, lucky to have gotten off as well as he did, the wolf still worried, and rightly so. Next time, they might not be so lucky. The two had done what they'd always done best, avoided any conversation that needed to happen, even in a room together, an opportunity to discuss what happened on her birthday, both convinced themselves it still didn't feel like the right time. If they continued, it never would be the right time. Perhaps there was no such thing, not while the two of them remained as the children of Rafael and Camila. 

By the time the movie had finished Scott was already asleep, snoring and drooling, as per usual. Noelle didn't have the heart to wake him, and she no longer had the back to go and sleep on the couch, tonight would have been her turn, Isaac was down the hall in her room, he had slept on the couch last night, Scott tomorrow. It still wasn't the ideal routine, but the three tried to make it fair on one another, all willing to keep sleeping uncomfortably so that none of them needed to leave. Isaac had nowhere else to go. This was Scott's home. And while Noelle could return to her home, neither of the boys were willing to let her go there, to live under the same roof as Camila again, not when they had seen the woman for who she really was, and Nellie was grateful, she'd rather die than live under the same roof as Camila again. 

In the hours since Scott had fallen asleep, Noelle had found herself staring at a single spot on the white ceiling, hoping that she would drift off into a peaceful slumber soon enough. That was her own version of counting sheep, she'd learned it during her time in the vault. She hadn't had it in her to think of peaceful thoughts such as sheep frolicking, while stuck in that vault it was torture to think of the outside world, a reminder of the simplicity it held sometimes, simplicity she had thought she would never see again. Falling asleep had never been particularly easy for Noelle, she had struggled to fall asleep since she was a child, she always felt out of place, uncomfortable in her surroundings, and after the fire, she found it hard to sleep without envisioning that night, some things never changed. In her first few weeks of living with Scott, it had gotten easier, she'd finally felt safe, Scott wouldn't let her out of sight, Isaac added extra security when he moved in, it was hard for her not to feel safe. And then the sacrifice happened, and she had fallen back into those nightmares of the fire, setting things alight, hallucinating. Now, Noelle was back to square one. The vault seemed more peaceful than this.

If those things weren't enough to keep her awake, a million thoughts in her head were. One of her constant thoughts was the boy sleeping beside her. How she wished she had the confidence inside of her to do what she'd done on her birthday or to even just mention it, but she knew that there was a better chance of her getting kidnapped and held hostage by an Alpha pack than that happening anytime soon. Then, when she distracted herself from him, came her mother, Camila, specifically what she had said. Not her usual condescending words that often kept the girl up at night with the urge to jump out of bed and spend all hours of the night for something to wear for school just to earn her mother's approval, no, this was one single word. Run.