chapter 14

mar. 1, 2012 (25 days left)

i turned towards the analogue clock that was siting above the door, squinting. I've been in and out of sleep, not wanting to disturb the boy sleeping next to me.

i sigh, shifting for the nth time since i laid down, now resting on my stomach. "why are you moving so much?" i froze, not realizing that he was awake, or he probably woke up.

"nothing, go to sleep." i heard him sigh, the Japanese boy now obviously being awake.

"i've been awake since you looked at the clock thirty minutes ago. it doesn't help that you make noise when you move." i make a face that he probably can't see, and he continues to talk.

"you know you can tell me anything right? just because i like you doesn't mean that has to stop. you're still my best friend." that's exactly it you small brain.

"it's nothing, promise. just sleep and i'll go to sleep too." he hums, throwing something at me.

i look down to the fluff, noticing it was the white blanket i bring everywhere. i mumble out a thanks, letting my eyes fall to a rest.

-

"this is a great chance to practice harder jumps since we are in a rest period. i've seen what you are capable of, and what some of you aren't capable of. it is currently 8:30. we have until 12 to open to the public. get a move on." i, honestly, spaced out during half of that, but nonetheless started doing laps for extra warm up.

i spot yuzuru on the other side of the rink, talking to... or trying to talk to Javier Fernandez. i turn my head right before i bump into blondie.

i smirk, crossing my arms, "are you following me?" she mimics my pose, also smirking.

"as if, you almost bumped into me."

"you were already looking at me, so you could've moved." she scoffed, dropping her arms.

"i've known you for two days max and i already know i'm never gonna beat you, am i?" i smile, shrugging.

i skate away, prepping for a double axel. allowing myself time to prepare, i breathe in and out, watching my surroundings.

everyone was mostly on the sides of the rink talking to each other, some talking to the coaches. it was my chance. i gather some speed, stepping with my left, i bring my arms back, and jump, placing my arms above my head.

the cold air was hitting my face, but i underestimated the people around me, not realizing what i was getting myself into.

my landing was wonky, but even so, i was able to skate off without harm. "MEI MIYAZAKI!" I jumped, turning to whoever shouted my name. It was Tracy Wilson, one of the coaches here.

the rink was silent, so i hurriedly skated towards the kind woman, stopping right in front of her. "yes?" i said, now in a hushed tone.

"since when were you able to land a triple axel?" oh i am in some deep water now.

"i'm sorry, what?" the lady in front of me, her jaws were basically unhinged to how big her smile was.

"you just landed a triple axel, basically perfect, and you think i wouldn't notice." i laugh out of nervousness, pushing a stray hair out of my face.

"... you saw that?" she scoffed, crossing her arms playfully.

"of course i saw that! if you put that in any of your programs your technical score will majorly go up, i need to know if that jump is consistent or not." i look around the rink, pairs of eyes staring at me, but specifically that Japanese boy.

"Can i discuss this with you later, if that's possible?" she nods, giving me a nice smile.

"don't worry, i just got excited. run along then, but do you think you can practice your step sequences? i would like to examine you a bit." i hold back a sigh, and nod, skating away from her.

i skate towards the mirrored wall, and could see yuzuru skating up behind me.

"what was that about?" he asked in japanese. i sigh, messing with my cuticles.

"she saw my triple axel." his eyebrows furrowed, confused.

"isn't that a good thing? i mean it shows that you're really good." i drop my hands to the side, looking up to the black-haired boy.

he looked clueless. his eyes showed that he was delighted that i could still land my consistent jump, but he was still confused. i sigh, looking into the mirror again.

"yuzu i don't want to stay here. i don't have to show my worth to anyone. i'm here for a month and then go back home, where i belong." i could see his eyes moving, from my body, to my face in the mirror.

"you belong where you can be your best, and beyond belief you do the best here." i push the stray hair back, really not wanting to talk about this.

"can we talk about this when we get back to the apartment. were using up practice time." i skate pass him, my hands resting on my hips.

"you can't keep pushing me away menami." i don't stop, continuing my own practice.