chapter 30

not edited

mar. 29, 2012 (3 days left)

"did you not go to sleep?" I look to my left, Yuzuru picking up his head from the pillow he was laying on. I shake my head, staring at my laptop that had been charging since 3am this morning.

he places his head back on the pillow, but grabs my wrist, trying to pull me into the bed, "stop." i push his hand off, placing both my hands into my lap, still staring at the screen in front of me.

"I know you're freaking out about your short, but you'll be fine. the both of us always freak out, and then just leads us to falling on our asses." Yuzuru grabs my hand again, this time sitting up.

"you give the same pep talk right before my short too, every single time. you'll probably do it tomorrow too." I pursed my lips, turning away from him. i hear him sigh, and lay back down in the bed.

"Miyazaki Mei. I've seen you practice everyday since the grand prix last year. even with school and extracurricular, I see you practice our basic five to seven, and even then you still add more hours. when will you realize that you are just as good as everyone makes you out to be? hm?" I glance back over at him, his left arm covering his eyes.

I place my laptop off to the side, leaning over the edge of the bed to place it on the floor, and position myself back into the bed, laying on my back. "just close your eyes, hm? you woke up yesterday too to watch ice dancing, just sleep a bit." I close my eyes, turning onto my left side to get more comfortable.

Yuzuru reaches over, caressing my head, probably trying to lull me to sleep, but i end up opening my eyes again. "you know that doesn't work." he keeps doing it, but turns his head towards me.

"I beg to differ." I leave him be, closing my eyes once more, placing both of my hands under my head, the only thing I could hear was our breathing, and some movement in the halls.

it was so calming, but my brain was still awake. I couldn't stop thinking about my short today. how my program could be better, how i could get a higher altitude to get a higher TES.

I try really hard to fall asleep, but before I could, Yuzuru stops caressing my hair and I'm back to my own thoughts. I sit back up, standing from the bed to walk over to the bathroom. I turn the lights on and look at myself in the mirror.

I look down to my stuff, and grab my melatonin bottle, giving myself a dosage to help myself fall asleep. I grab a cup, holding it under the faucet to fill it up.

I look back up at the mirror, trying to calm myself down, "you'll be fine. this isn't your first championships, and it definitely won't be your last. if you lose you lose, and if you win you add another trophy to your shelf. calm down." I finally take the melatonin pill, and down it with water, placing the cup back on the counter.

I turn the bathroom lights off and walk back to the bed, Yuzuru in the same position as he was when I first left. I grab the duvet to slip myself under it, trying to get comfortable as quick as I could.

I lay back on the pillow, and close my eyes, the melatonin already working, "thank you Yuzu."

"no problem Meinami."

-

it was 3:20, Coach Abe was sitting in the chair next to me as I warmed up. Tracy and Brian were technically not on my coaches list, so they weren't allowed back here. the fourth group of girls just got called, the competition coordinator fetching them.

"how are you feeling?" I look up at Coach Abe, shrugging. "like I could sleep for another four hours." she sighs, slipping out of her chair and sitting next to me.

she grabs my legs and straightens them, grabbing my arms to stretch me, "I'm guessing you didn't sleep till 5 this morning?" i nod my head, Coach Abe changing my position. My right leg was bent and I was leaning over my left.

"you took melatonin?" I nod again, switching my legs to stretch my right one.

"if you keep taking those in the same dosage it'll stop working." she finally let's go of my arms, allowing my to stretch my back.

"I know, I only take them to sleep the night before competition, I promise." Coach Abe nods, grabbing my legs and splitting them apart.

"down the middle." I reach my arms across the floor, trying my best to reach all the way. "you can go further, c'mon." I sigh, pushing my arms further towards her.

"don't start half-assing everything. you do the best when you're sleepy." i scoff, coming back up from my stretched position.

"that hurts my feelings." I stretch my arms over my head, both ways, pouting at Coach Abe. she waves me off, standing from her seated position, sitting back down in her chair.

"you're in the fifth group today, don't let that harm your mental. they just had a hard time fitting you in with group six. " I nod, turning my head to see the other skaters in the area. Suzuki Senpai was on the other side of the room, talking to a few other skaters, so there was no point in trying to talk to her.

Murakami Senpai and Asada Senpai were also in the small group, so I just stayed sitting, stretching my arms, "how does your shoulder feel?" I wiggle my arm around to show her that it was fine, and she nodded, the conversation going still.

I stretched my neck, turning it from side to side to make sure i wouldn't get whiplash later, "you can stop for a bit, you'll have to stretch on ice before your group goes up, so you can just wait it out a bit." i nod again, and stand from my seated position, grabbing my water bottle.

i look in the mirror, my Japanese team jacket covering my costume. I unzipped it to make sure everything was still in place, the crystals and such.

my mom did a really good job with the costume, making sure everything fit snug and wouldn't be in the way when I was jumping and turning.

the main bodice was purple, fading off into a lavender, as well as the sleeves. i had white flowers and jewels condescending from my neckline, all the way to my waist, where the skirt started.

the skirt was plain, nothing too out of this world. it was the same lavender, still fading into a very faint purple, almost white even.

i zipped up my jacket when one of the competition coordinators walked in, calling up my group, the fifth group.

a few of the girls started putting their skates on, so i followed, taking off my shoes and grabbing my skates, which were untied. i pull my tights over my feet, so their tucked into my boot while i skate.

i grab the left one first, and tighten it, then the right one, doing the same. i make sure my skate guards are on snug, before standing up and walking towards the competition coordinator. two of the girls were already there, the last two walking up behind me.

"we ready?" the five of us nod, and follow the coordinator, our coaches following. i could hear the cheering of the crowd, a song just finishing.

"which skater are we on?" the coordinator looks at his clipboard, and turns to the girl that had just asked the question, the second to the last one in this group. the girl nods, and were in the room we have to stay in before we preform.

this room always gives me unnecessary chills, everyone was quiet and wouldn't talk to you, other then your coach of course. i sit down next to Coach Abe, slowly exhaling.

"you'll be fine, okay? you have your necklace on, and your pretty eyeshadow. you'll be glowing on that rink, just like you always do. you are an outstanding skater Mei. Never let some stupid scores make you feel any less." i nod, another round off applause starting.

"ok girls, the Zamboni and a few of our other helpers will just clear the ice and it'll be ready for you to compete, please follow me so were out there already." i stand back up, smiling at Coach.

"let's be great again." i nod, and we walk towards the entrance of the rink, a new competition officially beginning.

_
1471 words

please vote + comment !!!