chapter 31

mar. 29, 2012 (3 days left)

I breathed heavily, the last note of tarantella coming out of the speakers. the crowd around me erupted into an applause, and I placed my arms down from their position, still trying to catch my breath.

i look towards Coach Nana, the small smile on her face could mean two things : I did well, or I absolutely fucked up and she's taking me back to Japan.

I smiled back at her, and turned to the crowd, bowing. I turned in all four directions, making sure I thanked every person who sat and watched me throughout it all. after I finished, I skated off to the side where Coach Nana was waiting for with my skate guards, "look at that. you did as perfect as you could." I genuinely smile at her, placing my skate guards on.

She handed me my jacket, which I gratefully slipped on, and we walked over to the kiss&cry, awaiting my results. "how are you feeling?" i sigh, placing the towel that she handed me earlier next to me, and zipping up my jacket.

"like a lump, I just want to sleep." she laughs, and the announcer states that the scores were ready.

truth be told, I wasn't expecting anything from this short program, it was amazing, but I could very honestly do better. "the short program scores please." i looked at the small monitor in front of me, waiting for the scores.

i picked up my water bottle out of habit, wanting to sip something before I see my scores, "she has earned a total score of 61.32, placing her into first." my jaw dropped, and i immediately looked over at Coach Nana, who was already looking at me. "this concludes the fifth group."

"did i really just?" she nodded, and i looked back at the monitor, wanting to properly check the scores. i looked towards one of the event monitors, and asked if i could take a picture of my scores, to which he obliged, so i grabbed my phone out and took a quick picture.

i went to the photo to check my tes and pcs, wanting to make sure it wasn't bugged or anything. all 9 judges had given me a positive GOE on each of my elements, and my pcs were all in the higher ranges.

"did I really just?" Coach Nana grabbed me by my shoulders, and pulled me in, hugging me, "i told you that you do everything better when you're sleepy." i scoff, and pick up all my stuff, making sure nothing falls, and head over to the little area where the other female skaters were sat, Coach Nana waiting to the side with the other coaches.

I think I just fully realized that I now have to wait here, anxiously, to see if anyone would top my score. I mean there were a handful of amazing girls in the next group who very much could top me, so I was slightly terrified, fiddling with my water bottle.

"this is the beginning of the sixth group, ladies your warmup time has begun." I saw Coach Nana stand up, and hand me a tiny pooh chain, smiling, "Yuzuru snuck it to me before you skated, said he knew you get anxious sitting and waiting here." I nodded, now fiddling with the small figure.

the warmup period for group six had just ended Murakami Senpai staying on the rink as she was going first. "representing Japan, Kanako Murakami." the crowd cheered, probably waiting long hours just for this group of girls.

The group consisted of many talented skaters, three of which were on the same team as me. I guess it made sense to why I was in the fifth group, having a fourth Japanese representative in one group seemed invasive.

Time seemed to speed up through the programs, different scores coming from each girl. 59.38, 64.61, 55.00, and three others. I was placed third after the sixth group had finished, ultimately still very happy with my current standing.