Chapter 4: The Secret Mission

"The plan is simple, we invite the Morozov's to the gala, throughout the night Lea and I will engage conversation with them to try and find out what exactly it is that they are after." my dad starts discussing the plan with us.

"Isn't that risky?" asks Luca.

"A little bit since they are our rival, but remember that at the headquarters when we escaped, we threw several smoke grenades and that gave us the advantage of them not finding out that we were there, they might speculate that we were, but they don't know for sure." I answered.

"Exactly, Lea" my dad says proudly, "Plus, we will be at a gala with hundreds of influential people, they won't attack us there." he further explains.

"Niccolo, you are in charge of the invitations, you already know the drill with that." my dad instructs him, Niccolo nods his head at him in response.

"Damiano, we need more bodyguards and specially for Lea, the security needs to be tighter than the previous times, we need to know who enters and who exits the gala every second of the event, are the trainees ready to be promoted and be on the field?" my dad must be asking about the trainees that Damiano has been training for 2 months now.

"They are ready, Lorenzo, one of them has exceptional skills, he will be perfect to be Lea's personal bodyguard." Damiano says to my dad and that peaks my interest.

"Okay, discuss that with Lea later and if she approves him he will be with her 24/7." my dad says and he looks at me for approval of the previous statement and I nod my head.

The thought of having a personal bodyguard doesn't sound too appealing to me. I mean, sure I have bodyguards with me almost all the time but they rotate everyday, with a personal bodyguard he will be with me always, everywhere and wherever I go, but I guess if Damiano says he has 'exceptional skills' he must be pretty good to be assigned to me.

"Moving on. Max, the gala will be held at one of the hotels, so you, Luca and Francesco are in charge of the preparations of it." my dad doesn't wait for a response as he adds, "Lea as always is in charge of supervising all of you. Is there any comment or question that any of you have regarding the plan?" my dad asks us.

"When is the date of the gala?" Francesco asks him.

"This Saturday." he responds, that means that we have 4 days to prepare for it, which is not enough time to get everything ready, but when the boss commands something we have to oblige.

"If there are no further questions you are all dismissed. Dinner will be served at the patio." when he says that the boys immediately smile and head out of the office, they must be hungry after today's event.

"Lea, baby, may I have a word with you?" my dad ask me when I get up from my seat.

"Of course, dad." I nod and take a seat, again.

"Do you remember the family heirloom?" he asks me.

"Are you talking about the necklace filled with diamonds?" I ask confused, not knowing why he is asking me that.

"Yes, the one that you will have possession of once I retire and you take over the family business," he says and I think he must have seen the confusion on my face because he adds, "I think the Morozov's are looking for it since that necklace is worth billions of dollars, if they manage to steal it from us we will be seen as weak and that will be bad for our business."

"How do they know about the necklace?" I ask him curiously.

There is no secret that the Cattani Family is wealthy, we own a lot of business in Italy after all. So, it is common for us to wear expensive jewelry, the type that is worth millions and people are not surprised when they see us wearing any of that. The necklace previously mentioned has been in my family for many years, given the history that it has and the amount of diamonds that it possess, there is even a replica of it at the Doge's Palace a famous museum here in Italy; that should tell you how important that necklace is. But not many people know that we have possession of the real necklace, which is why it surprises me that the Morozov's find out about it.

"That is what I haven't figured out, yet. The reason why I wanted to host a gala and the reason why I asked Damiano for more security than we would normally have is because I want you to wear that necklace on Saturday night and if the Morozov's try to steal it, then my theory about them will be confirmed." my dad explains.

"How do you know that they will try to steal it?" I ask him still curious about this secret part of the original plan.

"I don't. But I was analyzing the Morozov's and it is clear that they have no idea where the necklace is, the attack of today just confirms that, so if they see you wearing that necklace they will jump at the opportunity to steal it from us." what my dad is saying makes sense, the only ones that now about the location of that necklace are Damiano and him. But I am still a little bit hesitant about this secret mission, while I am well trained and definitely not afraid to fight against anyone, the Morozov's are ruthless and merciless they won't be gentle with me just because I am a woman.

My dad must have seen the hesitation in my eyes because he adds, "I want this conversation to stay between us. Only you, Damiano and I will know about this part of the plan. Can I count on you with this mission?"

This is a huge responsibility that my dad is trusting me with, I have to prove that not even the Russians can beat my skills. But then again one day I will be ruling my family's empire just like he is doing right now, so I have to be ready to face whatever comes my way when that time comes.

"You know you can always count on me, I won't let you down." I say to him determine to protect that necklace at all cost.

"I know, baby, you are the best at what you do and I am proud of you, which is why I know this mission will be a success for us," he smiles fondly at me, "Now let's go to the patio to have dinner with the others, you must be starving." he says getting up from his seat.

And just then I realized that I haven't eaten anything all day "Yes, I am. Plus the others must be wondering what is taking us so long." I replied following him out of the office.

"The chef made your favorite fettuccine, by the way." he smiles fondly at me when he sees my eyes sparkle at the mention of pasta.

I guess this day didn't end so bad, considering today's event, I just hope that tomorrow will be better.