Chapter 30: The Birthday Girl

6 Weeks Later

The constant ring of my phone woke me up. I groaned before grabbing my phone to check it, and I saw that I had an upcoming FaceTime call.

I took the call and was met with a cheerful and out of tone, "Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday, dear Leaaaa! Happy Birthday to you!"

I gave Max a small smile and, due to my morning voice, a raspy, "Thanks."

Since my father was no longer with me, I was not looking forward to this day at all. So, I wanted to spend it like any other normal day, but knowing Max, that was not going to happen.

"Tonight we are going to party at the nightclub. Luca has it all arranged, so be there by 8PM. Don't be late!" He says before hanging up, he didn't even give me time to respond.

I buried my head in my pillow and groaned one more time. I was dreading this day, and it is finally here.

It took everything in me to get up, take a shower, and get ready for the day ahead. I put on some mustard yellow loose-fitting long pants with a black crop top and a black long coat paired with white Alexander McQueen. I call this a comfy but stylish outfit.

Once I was ready, I went downstairs to have breakfast. When I entered the kitchen, I noticed several takeout bags with a note attached to one of them. I look at the note that reads:

Happy Birthday, Lea! I cooked your favorite, so make sure you eat some since I don't cook for just anybody *wink*. I hope you enjoy it.

With love, Francesco.

I chuckled at the note. I opened the bags and started eating. Francesco is the best chef, for sure; the food is delicious.

Once I was done eating, I was heading towards the entrance door when I noticed Fabrizio and Dante each carrying a bouquet of sunflowers and roses inside the house.

"Who sent those?" I ask them, and they peek their heads from behind the bouquet to be able to see me. "Happy Birthday, Ms. Cattani!" they say in unison. I gave them a small thanks. "Damiano sent these. There is also a note." Fabrizio answered my previous question. I took the note from the bouquet he was carrying and said to them, "Put them in the living room." With that, they walk towards the living room.

I read the note:

Dear, Lea.

I sent these flowers as a representation of your father, since he always gifted you your favorite flowers on your birthday. I will make sure to keep this tradition alive for as long as I live.

I wish you a happy birthday. I can't believe you are 21!

With love, Damiano.

When I finished reading the note, I held it to my chest and closed my eyes for a moment. After a few seconds, I hear someone clear their throat. I opened my eyes to find Enzo in front of me.

"Happy Birthday," he says in his deep voice. For some reason, his congratulations made me happy for the first time today.

"Thanks." I gave him a genuine smile. "Is the car ready?" I ask him.

"All set," he says, turning around and starting to walk. "To the headquarters?" he asks me when I catch up to him, and I nod my head.

------------------------------------------------

As soon as I stepped into the building, everyone I passed by gave me warm congratulations. I bowed my head with a small smile. Was it always this exhausting hearing people congratulate me on my birthday when the one person I want to hear it from is not here with me anymore?