Chapter 16: The Promise Part II

After the meeting with Damiano it was around 10:30AM. I went to my room to gather my phone and wallet, putting them in my purse before leaving. I also put on my Ray Ban Aviator Sunglasses to hide my eyes from the people.

I head downstairs, where Enzo was waiting for me, he was dressed in an all black suit.

I gave him a nod signaling that it was time for us to head out, he immediately went to open the front door for me.

Damiano left immediately after our meeting to take care of the funeral arrangements.

As the front door opens and I head out of my house, I see all of my bodyguards there waiting for me, including my dad's bodyguards. They have created a path on the stairs; they bow their head at me when they see me, a tear escapes my eye when I notice all of them, for the first time in my life I bow my head to them, a genuine one, as a thank you for their service. In this moment I realize that I am indeed their leader and that all of their lives are in my hands, as mine is in them.

As I make my way down the stairs each one of them said their condolences to me, I chose to just nod my head politely at them, not trusting my voice to speak due to the lump in my throat that seems to be growing with each passing second.

Enzo opens the backseat door for me and I head inside the car with his help. He closes the door gently and he heads to the driver seat of the car. An army of cars packed with bodyguards is behind us and in front of us, making my car in the middle of them. Once I gave the order to move, all of us head out of the Cattani Residence.

When we arrived at the cathedral where the funeral was being held, it was packed by many people, the media was all over the entrance trying to get a photo of my arrival, there was no space for me to walk, and the media was pushing each other to get an exclusive photo of me when they saw my car approach.

"Ms. Cattani, stay in the car. We will make a path for you to walk." Enzo instructs me and gets out of the car leaving me alone.

I looked outside of the window, my bodyguards were ordering everyone to back away from my car. Soon all of them followed my bodyguard's order and there was a narrow space for me to walk, my bodyguards were creating a tunnel for me to walk safely. I notice Enzo get close to my door, so I unlock it for him.

"Let's go. Please stay by my side and keep my pace." Enzo orders me as he opens the door, I grabbed my phone from my purse and hand it to him, he puts it on his inner pocket of his suit, then he opens the door widely for me.

But as soon as I get out of the car, all chaos broke loose, the media started to push each other, trying to get me to answer their questions.

"Lea Cattani! What happened to your father?!" "Is it true that he was shot several times?!" "Do you know who shot him?!", all of them screamed at the same time. The flash of the cameras were blinding me, even though I am wearing sunglasses to protect my eyes.

My bodyguards are guarding me like a shield from all the pushing. Enzo grabbed me by the waist and pulled me as close to him as possible, he puts a protecting arm in front of me so no one could touch me.

"When are you officially taking the position as the CEO of your father's business?!" "Lea! Look at the camera!" "Lea, are the rumors true?! Are you dating Maximilian Marcozzi?!", the screams continued as I tried to pass by, I kept my head down, which allowed Enzo to take full control and guide me through the crowd.

"We are almost there." Enzo whispers in my ear, trying to reassure me in the middle of the chaos.

After what seemed like hours, but in reality was just a few minutes, we made our way inside the cathedral, my bodyguards kept the doors closed after I entered so the media could not enter. Enzo removed his arm from around my waist and I whispered to him a soft, "Thank you".