Chapter 3

Camila watched as the classroom window was coated with raindrops, each one slowly making its way down the windowpane. All of the positive things that she had noticed about McKinley seemed to wash away with the rain after what had transpired in the cafeteria. It was the last class of the day and her AP European History teacher was doing a powerpoint introduction to the course. Camila was thankful for that since in the dark she didn't have to pretend that she was actually paying attention. She was too lost in thought to watch her instructor go into depth about the syllabus for the semester. She was too concerned about what happened to Lauren and the significance of the incident.

She couldn't explain it, her intense interest in Lauren, but she couldn't help it. There was just something about her that had drawn Camila in that night at the party. But today it was different. Today Lauren was more removed, more hesitant, more distant. And Camila hadn't been able to figure it out until lunch, well, to a certain extent. She was still a bit fuzzy on the details, but after what happened it became clear to Camila that Lauren had been bullied. Why? She had no idea, but she knew that it had happened. And she knew that it had something to do with her new group of friends and James. She couldn't believe he would've done something like that, but at the same time, she was reminded of the feeling she had gotten around him whenever she was with him and Austin. Something about him hadn't sat well with her and now she knew why.

But she was more concerned about Lauren. Camila knew what it was like to be bullied. She knew what it was like to be an outcast. That had been her just last year at Patton, getting made fun of and laughed at. That was the very reason she jumped at the chance to switch schools when her father got his promotion and suggested moving closer to work. She noticed the cracks in Lauren's mask that, to the untrained eye, looked hard as steel, because she used to have a mask of her own.

Camila got it, which is why it frustrated her to no end that she hadn't been able to do anything. She was so shocked when it happened that she wasn't responsive enough to act on Lauren's behalf. Because believe her, had she not been so taken aback, Camila would've gladly stood in Lauren's defense. And it frustrated her that no one else did. Did no one else care? And where was Lauren's friend from earlier that Camila had seen her talking to? Why was this something that was okay?

Coming to a Christian school, she thought the students there would be loving and accepting and fair. McKinley even appeared to be just that, up until lunchtime. The students were welcoming and really friendly. Half of them already knew who she was since apparently being Austin's girlfriend was a big deal around here. The girls she had been sitting with had met her during first period and were quick to invite her to eat lunch with them. She'd considered them really nice, with the exception of Charlotte, who's intimidating blue eyes seemed to judge Camila's every move. But Ally and Normani and Ariana and, the other new girl, Dinah, all seemed really cool.

So why hadn't they done anything? Why were they laughing along with everyone else? Well, to be fair, Ally and Normani weren't all that amused. And Dinah was just as shocked and confused as Camila was, but Ariana was laughing. So was Charlotte. And no one did anything.

Camila wondered if Lauren had gone home or not. She couldn't say she would stay at the school after being humiliated like that either so she didn't blame Lauren for leaving if she had. Heck, if it had been Camila in that situation, she probably would've transferred somewhere else or opted for homeschooling. No one deserved that kind of treatment. It was humiliating and borderline dehumanizing.

What really bothered Camila the most at the moment was Austin's involvement. Not only did Austin laugh when it happened, but he had been hostile towards Lauren all day and that was not the Austin she knew. Her Austin was loving and kind and welcoming. Part of the reason she even agreed to date him was that he didn't act like all of the other douchebags that she knew of. He made her feel good about herself and maybe that was why it was so difficult for her to witness him encouraging someone being treated like dirt.