Chapter 20

As a strong believer in the power of breakfast, Lauren found it both ironic and inconvenient for her to also not be a morning person in any way, shape, or form. She just did not have it in her to get up at six in the morning recharged and ready for the day. Breakfast was usually her pick-me-up, which kind of made it all work out. But on days where she had to skip a good breakfast and settle for toast or dry cereal, she wished to be a morning person more than ever.

Unfortunately, today was one of those days. She hadn't been able to sleep last night until late, so she was even less prepared for the day than usual. Plus she was also hindered by her wrist being especially problematic this morning. She took her medication like she was supposed to, but just maneuvering her daily routine was a chore and she just wanted to have her surgery already. Luckily, it was tomorrow and she would finally be on the road to recovery.

When she arrived downstairs to the dining room, there was a small bowl of fruit salad and some toast waiting for her on the table, meaning she was running behind and Nat had to skimp on breakfast.

Great.

It wasn't until she'd rushed through her fruit salad and Nat helped her butter her toast that her mother sat down across from her at the table. Lauren immediately tensed up, but Clara didn't even look at her, instead waiting quietly until Natasha appeared with her cereal and tea.

This could either be handled one of two ways: Lauren could completely ignore her and finish her breakfast as quickly as possible or she could try to start a conversation and remedy some of the conflict from last night.

Despite a slight urge to fix things, she decided on the former. She was in a hurry after all. But unfortunately, Clara seemed to be in a talkative mood.

"If you don't hurry up and finish, you're going to be late for school." she warned. "And stop slouching like that. You'll ruin your posture."

Lauren rolled her eyes, doing her best to get through her toast, but not making any move to straighten up in her seat. She'd never been Miss Prim and Proper and she definitely wasn't going to start now just because her mom was mad at her.

"Oh and you'll have to find another way to school since I need the driver for a meeting." Clara said.

That definitely got Lauren's attention. "Wait, what? I can't drive with my hand like this and school starts in fifteen minutes. How am I supposed to get there? Can't you just drop me off?"

Clara pulled out her phone, refusing to actually look at Lauren.

"I would, but I'm heading in another direction and it's urgent. You drove to Camila's house. I don't know why you can't just work it out for one day."

Lauren scoffed. "I wasn't supposed to drive to Camila's house, but I was being stupid and thought I could handle it...Truth is it's really dangerous and you shouldn't be advocating that."

Her mother simply shrugged, really pissing her daughter off which Lauren guessed was her goal.

She sighed. "Look if you're being all difficult about this just because of what I said last night then-"

"I'm doing this because you seem to think that without me you can take care of yourself. And if that were true, you wouldn't have any trouble getting yourself to school now would you?" Clara challenged, finally looking at Lauren with a cold stare.

Oh, so this was how she wanted to handle it.

"Mom, I'm gonna be late for school. I'm not in the mood for your any of your stupid games. I need a ride."

Clara only chuckled, clearly not taking her daughter seriously. "I'm only presenting you with a realistic problem that you would have to deal with by yourself should you choose to stay here."