Chapter 15

After school was over, Lauren rushed home so that she could get everything ready before heading over to Camila's. She already had her overnight bag packed and only had to change out of her school uniform, but she also needed to grab the pills that Dr. Renoir had given her to take for her wrist pain until the surgery.

She also just needed to take some extra time to prepare herself in general. Camila had a tendency to bring out parts of her that had long been locked away (Lauren had just decided to call it the Camila Effect) and she really didn't want to mess up and embarrass herself.

She had to admit, that morning had definitely shaken her a bit. Camila had come so close to actually kissing her. Camila was going to kiss her. Lauren hadn't even stopped to process it until she was out of school and away from the younger girl, because she knew that she'd be completely unable to focus on anything if she did so before that.

She couldn't wrap her mind around it. Camila actually felt something for her. What it was, Lauren wasn't sure. On the one hand, she could've just been caught up in the moment. But then there was the possibility of Camila actually liking her back. Then there was the important question that worried Lauren more than anything.

Was Camila just curious and looking to experiment or was she actually into her?

The answer to that question was something she wasn't sure she wanted to hear. She really was falling for the younger girl and if those feelings weren't returned and Camila was just looking for someone to quell her curiosity, then Lauren wasn't sure she could handle the emotional imbalance between them. She already had enough of a hard time being just friends with her crush. If Camila got tired of experimenting with Lauren and found someone she was actually emotionally interested in, then Lauren was sure she would be crushed.

That would explain why it was even called a "crush" in the first place, wouldn't it?

She tapped out a nervous beat on the steering wheel with her thumb as she pulled up to her house. All she wanted to do was run upstairs, grab what she needed, and take a minute to chill out before heading over to Camila's house. But as she grabbed her backpack from the passenger seat and got out of the car, she noticed that her father's Cadillac was also parked in the driveway.

He was actually home for once?

Right when she entered the door, Natasha was waiting for her, taking her backpack with a nervous smile that she only wore after some sort of conflict.

"Ah, Lauren. There you are." she heard from in front of them where her mother quickly approached them.

Oh, great. Both of her parents were home right now. That was probably why Nat was acting so weird. They'd been fighting again. The tension was still hanging in the air and her mother was acting like she was hiding something, which was unusual. Clara was very blunt about things, a trait that Lauren ended up inheriting, and if she only held back when they were in public or if she was hiding something.

"Ah, I'm glad you're home and earlier than usual, I see. I need to talk to you. Both your father and I would like to talk to you, actually."

Well, that couldn't be good. See, her mother hadn't said anything about the topic of discussion, but Lauren knew that it wasn't something that both her mother and her father wanted to talk to her about. They rarely agreed on anything. That meant that her mom had roped him into talking to her about something that he didn't really want to. And if that was the case then it probably wasn't something that Lauren would like. Especially if her mother was actually glad that Lauren was home.

She sighed, nodding her head to let her mother know that she was okay with it and followed the woman into the dining room where her father was sat reading something on his smartphone and drinking something out of a mug.