Chapter 12

She hadn't come here to be ignored. She knew Lauren wasn't trying to do it. She knew that the older girl was just a little distracted, but she couldn't help her annoyance as she bit into another of the cookies that Lauren's grandmother had set out for them.

Reagan and Lauren were sitting in the living room yelling excitedly at a video game they were playing while Camila sat in the kitchen, trying her best to ignore them. Reagan had been there for a few more hours after they all left the pool and Camila couldn't help being annoyed.

All day, Reagan and Lauren had been laughing and talking and hanging out. Camila felt like such third wheel that when they went into the living room to play some violent Xbox game, she decided to sit it out and go to the kitchen where she could sulk in a more quiet environment...and stuff her face with amazing chocolate chip cookies.

But if she had to watch Reagan look at Lauren like she was the most amazing person on Earth one more time, she was going to punch somebody.

She knew Lauren was amazing, but that didn't mean that it was okay for Reagan to just gawk at her all the time. Camila thought it was very cruel of the universe to take advantage of her decision to hide her feelings for Lauren for the older girl's sake and torture her with watching someone else treat Lauren how Camila wanted to. Sure, Reagan was a really nice and cool girl who apparently knew how to fix anything known to mankind, rode a motorcycle, and wanted to be a DJ, but she was encroaching on Camila's territory here and that was not okay.

Well, to be fair, it would be wrong of Camila to look at Lauren as territory since she was a person, but she still wasn't cool with some other girl flirting with her.

Camila bit angrily into another cookie. Lauren had been right to warn her about these. Camila wasn't sure how many she'd eaten anymore. She was sure she'd probably pop soon.

"You could go and join them you know?" she heard, making her turn around to find Lauren's grandma standing there. She was looking down at Camila with a warm smile on her face before sitting across from her.

The girl looked down at the table, playing with her fingers. "I'm not very good at video games. Plus, Lauren seems to really be having fun and I don't want to mess it up."

She really didn't want to mess it up. Lauren rarely smiled these days and even if it was Reagan causing it, Camila wanted to keep Lauren happy for as long as possible before they went home. She just wished Lauren could include her in her happiness is all.

The old woman chuckled. "I don't think you could mess it up. Lauren talks about you so fondly. And she seems to really like having you around."

Camila scoffed at that. "Yeah, she really seems to enjoy my company right now." she answered.

Her sarcasm wasn't lost on the old woman and she frowned at how frustrated Camila looked. Camila noticed and immediately scolded herself for being so rude to Lauren's grandmother.

"I'm sorry, its just Lauren and I haven't had much time to hang out recently. And I'm glad she's finally smiling again and having fun and everything. I just can't help but feel just a little bit neglected." she admitted, earning a sympathetic look from the woman across from her.

She reached out and put a hand on Camila's to get her attention. "Now, I know Lauren and I know that she wouldn't have brought you here with her if she didn't value your company...Lauren's been going through a rough time since high school started."

Camila nodded, understanding what she was referring to.

"She hasn't ever brought a friend over before, not even that Zayn boy that she talks to me so much about over the phone. I'm sure you must be really special to have her bring you here."