Chapter 7

She wasn't sure what it was. Maybe it was the amazing breakfast that Natasha had made her that morning. Maybe it was her check-in with Zayn earlier. Maybe it was her visit from Camila yesterday. Hell, it could've just been the fact that today was her last day of suspension. Or maybe she was just in a weird mood. But for the first time in what felt like a century, Lauren was actually happy.

She sat at her desk bouncing her leg up and down as she finished yet another unit in her Pre-Calculus workbook. She was about to stop and switch to something else so that she'd actually have something to learn at school when she got back but paused when her phone went off.

It was only her notification tone so it was probably just a text. She got up to walk over to where the device was sitting on her bedside table. Most likely, it was Zayn too bored in his AP Chemistry class to pay attention like he said he'd be. Why he insisted on taking that course she had no idea since he wasn't even going into science for college despite his being a genius when it came to the subject. He probably already knew a majority of the curriculum which is why she would probably get a lot of texts from him during that period.

Lauren was surprised to find that it actually wasn't Zayn, but Camila and that there was more than just one message waiting for her.

Camila: i'm coming over later...if that's okay with you i mean

Camila: we actually have homework in bio now :( but I can bring it to you

Camila: actually nevermind. you're probably way ahead of us right now. you don't need it lol. maybe you could help me instead?

Camila: wait you're okay with me coming by right?

Lauren chuckled as she could actually hear Camila saying all of this in that awkward way that she said things when she was unsure of them, but somehow still managed to make it sound cute.

Lauren was more than willing to have Camila over again, but she couldn't help being concerned about what exactly the younger girl was sacrificing. Despite Camila's interest, Lauren had her doubts about whether the girl knew what exactly being friends would entail, what the consequences would be. And had she even talked to Austin yet?

Lauren: i'm fine with it and sure i'll help you with bio, but what about your bf?

She frowned at the message, not sure if it was the appropriate thing to ask. In fact, she was in the action of typing out a text to remedy it, but Camila answered too quickly.

Camila: we broke up...it's none of his business

That definitely made Lauren's eyes go wide. They broke up? When? Did everyone else know? And if so then why hadn't Zayn told her yet? That was definitely information that she needed to know.

Lauren: oh, wow, i'm sorry...

Camila: i'm not. you were right. he's an asshole

Lauren didn't think that she'd ever heard Camila curse before, but she hoped that she would in the future. It was probably really hot.

Lauren: Wait so how did this happen? Did you tell him you knew about him bullying me?

Camila: yeah, that in itself made me want to dump him. i'm not gonna date a bully. but that's not the whole reason why

Lauren: oh, well, are you okay?

Lauren wasn't sure how Camila was feeling right now. She'd been with Austin for a while before this. She had to be at least just a little upset about it.