First Talks-Ch 2

A/N

Hay, anyone reading just a few notes.  Firstly, this is my first EVER fan fiction, or story of any length to be published.  I have been sitting on it for about 6 months and have a few more just percolating.  I wrote this because like so many I just didn't like the way Season 7 and AYITL were written or were the writers of our beloved show took the characters.  There was so many different directions they could have gone.  so therefore, I wrote.  I have a second one-shot that corresponds with this on and is actually referenced in this one in a later chapter. Secondly, I am a huge fangirl and lover of certain couple characters.  Another reason why I write.  

As so many, I don't own anything, just these what if ideas.  Please enjoy!

There was a gentle knock on the glass door. Nic opened the door, a small smile on her face. She quietly walked into the room and motioned to the chair. Rory nodded.

Nic moved the second chair next to her, closer to the bed, and sat down.

"How are you doing? I wanted to come in and check on you like I said I would."

"Oh wow. It has been an hour?" Rory responded.

Nic nodded.

"I guess I zoned out a little. I'm still overwhelmed and have lots of questions," Rory stated.

"We'll I was coming in to let you know that Dr Hawkins and I are off in a couple of hours and to let you know who will be in to take care of you during the day. But also, do you want to talk? It seems you and Logan are something, I'm just not sure what." Nic looked at her concerned.

Rory chuckled a little and shook her head.

"Nic, you're good at reading people. You should be a reporter."

"Why don't you tell me about you and Logan?" Nic gently prodded.

"But you said you were getting off in a couple of hours, that's not enough time. There is too much to tell and I am not even sure what we are." Rory retorted with a shrug of her shoulders.

"Well, tell me what you do know. How did you guys meet?" Nic questioned.

"At a coffee cart at Yale, he and his friends were condescending to my friend, Marty. I thought he was an arrogant, frat-boy, butt-face miscreant. But after I got to know him and his friends better, I fell in love with him. Actually I was very attracted to him, even though he was everything my mother warned me about. We dated for 2 ½ years. I graduated in May and he had graduated the year before. We have been through a lot in that time. But the last time I saw him, he was walking away from me." Rory stopped with a hiccup to stop a sob.

"Wow. Sounds like the beginning of a very interesting story. What was your major?"

"Journalism and English. Logan majored in Business. He was expected to follow the family plan, or dynastic plan, and go into the family business. He walked away from his family and their plans a couple of months ago and found his own job, here in California. But he made plans without me. He decided what he wanted without talking to me. I'm hurt, angry and sad, but still love him and so, so mixed up. Sorry to unload all this on you." Rory spoke quietly.

Nic leaned her head in her hand as her elbow rested on the back of the chair. She had turned toward Rory to listen.

"Sometimes it is part of the job, to take care of the loved ones of those who are in the bed."

Rory scoffed. "That is the problem, I love him but am not sure what we are or where we are going especially since we broke up. And it was bad. He asked me to marry him and I had said no. That was after he gave me an ultimatum of all or nothing. He did not want a long distance relationship. We had been through that with his work right after he graduated. I wanted to get out in the world. Make my own name. Get a real job. But I wanted him there." Rory's eyes began to tear up. She was putting to word thoughts that had been swirling around her head for 6 weeks. She was opening up to Nic about things she hadn't even said to her Mom.