Ever Heard That Monday is A State of Mind?- Ch 21

A/N That you for all who are still reading and have favorited this story.  I have had a very rough couple of weeks.  Real life is kicking my a**.  If you have a moment, please send good thoughts my way.  I am a small business owner and am having an extremely rough go of it.  I might have to change professions.  NO matter what happens in real life, I plan on finishing this story!

I own nothing but my own ideas.

Rory checked her watch again as she rushed into her hotel room. She was running late, but hoped that the time difference would work in her favor. She opened her phone to his contact and pushed the call button. She laid the phone on her bed as she toed off her heels, kicked them to the side, unbuttoned her jacket and shrugged it off as the phone had now rung two times.

Logan answered," Hey Ace!"

He sounded good, a little sleepy, but good.

"Hey Logan, I hope I am not calling too late. I got side tracked after the event and didn't realize the time. Do we have time to talk, or are you about to be down for the count?"

"No, I'm good. Kalinda came in about 30 minutes ago and I talked her into letting me wait until you called and I got to talk to you. So she won't be back for at least another 30 minutes," he responded.

"I'm glad. Maybe all that talking your way out of things has paid off." she replied.

"Hey, I did it for good, no nefarious plans here." he retorted.

She laughed.

"So the event went well?" he asked.

"Yeah, it was the same old thing. The difference is that it was smaller for a more private, high donations type crowd. But the same old speech was made, ''Blah, blah, blah." Rory explained as she sat down on her bed and moved to lean against the headboard.

Logan chuckled, " If it was the same old thing, what got you sidetracked?"

"Well I was walking out of the conference room at the end of the evening and there was this older couple sitting on a bench in the lobby area. They sort of reminded me of Grandma and Grandpa. So I waved, then went over to them," Rory began to tell Logan about her evening.

Roroy walked out of the conference room. She blew out a breath of frustration. She was disappointed but not quite sure why. It was the same old speech made for the last 2 weeks, even if this was a smaller, more intimate crowd of 200 instead of 2000 or even 20000. She just wasn't getting a spark of interest and was worried about what she would write if the topic was the same as so many times before.

She began to walk across the lobby to leave when she noticed a nice looking elderly couple sitting on a bench in an alcove. There was something about them that reminded her about Grandma and Grandpa.

She waved at the couple and the gentleman politely waved back.

She decided to be bold and went over to talk to them.

"Hello, did you come to the event?" Rory asked when she got closer.

"Oh, no dear," the woman began, "we brought our 2 eldest grandchildren."

"Wow, that's really amazing. What made you decide to do that?"

"Well, I am a war vet and retired business owner," the gentleman began, "and we felt like we needed to help them learn about the political process in this country. We live in a unique country and have freedoms that other countries don't have. We wanted to give our grandchildren the opportunity to learn about the process and help them to make up their own minds. We brought them to this event, but are going to take them to the competitors' rally next month." He finished and winked at Rory.