First Visitors-Ch 4

After a couple of hours,a beeping sound or alarm started coming from one of Logan's pieces of equipment.  The nurse walked in.  She checked the IV pump and pushed a button.  Rory looked up at her with a questioning look.

"Just an alarm to let me know that he needs to have his IV replaced.  Nothing to worry about.  But I will check out how he is doing." 

The nurse proceeded to listen to Logan's chest and check the wires and other items on Logan.  She checked his skin and felt his toes.

"I think I am going to call the doctor, his temperature is starting to go up a little. Probably nothing to worry about, but he might want another set of labs just to be sure."  Jenn told Rory, then walked out the door.

Rory looked at Logan.  He was pale and seemed so small.

"Hey there," she squeezed his hand, "You've got to start getting better.  First, I want to hear your voice.  Also, I have some stuff I want to tell you.  But most of all I don't think I can handle a world without you in it.  You have this scaring me down pretty good.  It's time to stop." She chuckled as she wiped a tear that was sliding down her face.

The nurse and doctor came in.  They looked over Logan and took blood for more tests.  Plus a couple of new IV bags were added to the stand.

Rory watched silently as they worked.  The nurse gave a small smile as she left the room behind the doctor. 

Rory went back to typing on her laptop and munching on her sandwich.  A couple of times she stood and stretched.  She reached for her coffee and found it to be cold, but she drank it anyway.  She didn't want to leave him again or too often.  She kept hearing, "first 24 hours" and they were still in that time frame.

Just as she was getting up and stretching again, there was a quiet knock on the sliding glass door.  A young man in a suit was standing there, looking a little sheepish, yet confident. 

Rory motioned for him to come in. 

He was in a nice gray suit with a blue tie that had been loosened at the neck.  His leather shoes tapped on the linoleum floor.  He had dusty blond hair and brown eyes.  In many ways he could have been Logan's brother.
He purposely walked through the door and came near Rory.  He held out his hand.

"You must be Rory.  I'm Cary.  We spoke earlier.  How is he?" the young man said all at once.

"Hi, nice to meet you.  Yes, I'm Rory.  He is doing as well as can be expected.  He had surgery last night, or early this morning.  And they are running some more tests because his temperature has gone up a little.  He has a head injury, a broken ankle, a broken leg, fractured wrist, a punctured lung, broken ribs and internal bleeding which required surgery.  We are in the wait 24 hours stage right now.  He will be sedated for at least another day.  Something about letting his body recover a little and the head trauma.  But that might be more information that you were wanting." Rory finished her ramble.

"Well, it is better to know more than to not know.  I was just at dinner with him last night.  We had a drink after to relax, because frankly the dinner could have gone better." Cary shook his head with an exhale, 'I wouldn't have let him go alone if I knew this was going to happen."

He turned to look at Rory with his hands in his pockets, "He talks a lot about you though. In my opinion, he is working so much to both prove something to you and win you back."

"I don't know about that," Rory answered.

"Look.  I have only been working with him for 5 weeks, but those have been some 60-80 hour work weeks.  We've put in a lot of time together.  He has said some things, but there are also some things he hasn't said.  But honestly he  needs to be the one to tell you." Cary confided.