Making Calls-Ch 3

After the 2nd ring Lorelai answered the phone.

"Hey Sweets, how are you?  Stopped dodging Mommy?  How is the trail and life on the bus?"  Lorielai began.

"Hey, Mom.  Actually that's why I am calling.  I'm not actually on the trail or on the bus.  I am in California.  Something's happened." Rory started.

"Oh My God. Rory, what happened?  Weren't you in Omaha or somewhere bucolic like that?"

"Yes, I was, but I got a phone call from a hospital here in California that I was needed.  Mom, It was about Logan." Rory paused, "He was in a pretty bad car accident and I was his emergency contact. I am in Palo Alto."

"Once again, Oh My God.  Is he ok?"

"Well that is sort of complicated.  They have him sedated and will be for the next couple of days," then she proceeded to list the rest of the injuries that Logan received.

"Oh, wow, kid.  This must be so hard for you.  But Rory, what about your job? What will happen?"

" I am not sure.  Hugo is my next call."

"Rory, the way things were left, you can't give up your job.  Plus would Logan even want you to or have you back?"

"Mom!  We are not even there yet!  Logan has to survive the next 24 hours and breathe on his own.  And even be able to talk for that matter.  As far as I know, he is here by himself.  I can't leave him.  I was his emergency contact."

"Oh sweets.  I'm sorry.  I do hope he makes it through all this and gets better.  But I also don't want to see you hurt again.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do.  I will support you in whatever you decide. Do you need a car package?  Oh, wow, I just had a flashback to after his Costa Rica trip."

"I think I need to be here for him, at least for a little while.  If he wakes up..."

"Rory, no if, but when he wakes up." Lorelai interjected.

"When he wakes up and recovers, I want to have a long talk with him.  Mom, I really think I made a mistake when I said no and let him walk away."

"This is not the time to second guess yourself.  You need to be strong.  You should have this discussion with Logan."

"Mom, I wanted to make my name in journalism, but I wanted to do it with him by my side.  He spurs me on and makes me reach.  Him and that stupid all or nothing!" Rory lamented.

"Look, you decided what you thought was right..."

"But you don't get it Mom, I have been miserable these past 5 weeks.  I have worked, but I feel like half a person."

"You just need a good wallow.  You will make it through this."

"No Mom, I think I want to change some of this."

"Look, don't make any big decisions about the future right now.  Make it through the next few days. I gotta go.  Call me later?"

"Sure, Mom. Bye"

Rory's second call was to Hugo.  She told him what was going on and that she would need at least 3 more days.  They discussed the trail schedule and he told her not to worry about it.  She was to get back to him on the third day, if not sooner with an update.

The third call Rory had to make was going to be hard.  She refilled her coffee cup and sat down to make the call.  It was to Honor.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Honor?  This is Rory Gilmore."

"Oh, Rory.  I never expected to hear from you.  How may I help you?"