Time to Wake Up- Ch 8

A/N So here we go, the main man begins to become and active part of the story. 
I am not a medical professional or have studied the medical field.  I do bounce questions off a RN occasionally.
Thank you for all the saves, reads and comments!
I do not own anything, just the idea.

The next morning, Finn dropped Rory off at the hospital saying he had a meeting he had to go to but would be back before lunch and would bring her something.
Rory walked into the ICU and found Dr Hawkins and Nic in Logan's room.  She jumped to the wrong conclusion.

"Oh my God, what's wrong?  What happened?" she exclaimed.

"Nothing," Dr Hawkins explained," Actually it's all good.  I stayed so that we could do a breathing test to take him off the vent.  We've been tapering off the sedation and he should be ready to wake up.  I wanted to be here for him and you."

Nic reached out for Rory's hand and held it, "Me, too.  Let's stand over here and Dr Hawkins will let you know what to do."

"Ok, here we go.  Logan, hey man, can you wake up.  Open up your eyes, man." The Doctor spoke softly to Logan.

Logan stirred a little and slowly his eyes opened with a few tentative blinks as he attempted to focus.  The vent was still in place and the look of fright opened his eyes wide.

"Hey there, it's ok.  You are on a vent. We need to take this part off and test to see if you can breathe on your own." as the doctor removed the top portion of the vent. "Ok, just keep breathing like that.  I know you have a lot of questions.  So maybe I can tell you a few things to keep your mind occupied.  First, you were in a car crash, a pretty bad one.  You went off the road and were pinned until the emergency crew could get you out.  You went into surgery once you got here.  You have a broken ankle, a broken fibula and tibia, a punctured lung, some broken ribs and a concussion.  You had some internal bleeding, but that was resolved with surgery, so was your lung.  Your broken bones required plates and pins.  And we had you sedated for head trauma." 
Logan just watched the doctor intently. 

"Now, you have this beautiful young woman worried about you."  Dr Hawkins turned his head to look at Rory and Logan followed with his eyes. 

He saw Rory for the first time.  His eyes got bigger, then started to fill with tears.  His heart rate started to increase.

"Hey, man. You need to keep calm so you can talk to her.  She has been here since you got out of surgery.  She took a red eye to get here."

Logan closed his eyes and blinked, the tears slid down his cheeks. His heart rate began to slow down to normal.  He wouldn't take his eyes off Rory.  She stood to the side silently crying herself.  She was so afraid that the spike in his heartbeat meant that he wasn't happy to see her, that he was angry.  There was a part of her that wanted to run.

"Hey, man, just a minute more."  Dr Hawkins continued talking to Logan, "She's been telling us some about your story, and it sounds pretty special to me.  I'm going to give you some advice while I have a captive audience." 

Nic and Rory softly chuckled, 

"Don't let a good one go.  I almost lost mine because I was too stubborn to listen and get some help.  But mostly because I was too bull headed to talk.  Just talk to her man and LISTEN.  I had to change for me but also because I knew my life was better with her.  If you have a beautiful thing, fight for it.  Life is hard, but you need something good to make it better. Sometimes you just have to have courage to take a leap.  Ok, so the time is up.  You did good.  No more captive audience.  So take a deep breath and as you exhale, I am going to take the tube out." the doctor instructed.