𝐒𝐈𝐗

italics = flashbacks

────────── · 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────────

     FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS, CASSIE AND MATT DON'T SPEAK TO EACH OTHER. And technically, it's not because they're avoiding one another. Once Cassie went back to work after those few days off, things got really busy. Knowing she'll be paid overtime, she doesn't complain.

During breaks or the one night she finished early, when she would've popped over to Nelson and Murdock to see how things were going, Cassie instead chose to prepare for the upcoming showcase. She told herself that it was because she wanted to do a good job, not because she was nervous about seeing Matt again. And that was true. Mostly.

She can't help but thinking about the fact that they almost kissed, and that in the entire time she'd known him, that had only happened once before. It was right before they graduated from college.

There was a party and everyone had a little too much to drink that night.

Despite the loud chatter and even louder music, Matt picked up on a guy bothering Cassie on the other side of the room. Within seconds, he crossed the room and approached the two, putting an arm around Cassie and pulling her close. He counted on whoever that was to not want to say anything to a blind guy, and was relieved when the guy simply walked away, muttering something Matt didn't care to repeat.

They ended up in one of the bedrooms upstairs, when Matt could tell that Cassie was shaken up. He just wanted to make sure he was okay, so they found some place quiet. After talking for a little while, Cassie's good mood returned.

That night, both of them almost confessed their feelings for each other, but neither of them did. Cassie was scared, she knew Matt's history with girls, and was afraid that if she confessed her feelings, even if he reciprocated, it would be short lived. And she decided that she'd rather have him as a friend forever, than risk losing him.

Matt was scared, but for a different reason. Cassie was one of the only genuinely good people in his life. She was there for him no matter what. Every day he reminded himself how badly he fucked up and almost lost her for good, because of Elektra. And despite her saying he was forgiven, he could sometimes hear the hurt in her voice. How she talked to him as if she was afraid that at any moment, he'd leave. He didn't want to risk confessing his feelings, and somehow fucking it all up. So he stayed quiet.

Pulling her thoughts back to the present, Cassie shakes her head, trying to feel more awake. She ended up falling asleep around midnight, and had to wake up at 6am to make it in to the gallery on time. They didn't actually open until 9, but from when she arrived at 7, to when she unlocked the door once they opened, Cassie was either on her laptop responding to emails, or on the phone with vendors as she tried to plan this event.