Just Friends (Stewart Copeland)

In 1976, I arrived to England with no immediate plans for my future. I had no job, no money, no friends and no place to live. I moved without hesitation to get away from my small town. It was so small that I felt claustrophobic every time I left the house.

I didn't make friends until the second week I was in England. My first friend was a kind drummer named Stewart, whom was living abroad like myself. He offered to let me stay with him and his girlfriend, Sonja, until I was acclimated. They met while they were in Curved Air together and have been going strong.

Three years later, in 1979, nothing has changed one bit. Well, except for Stewart's hair. He cut it then dyed it blond for a bubble gum commercial to help The Police, the band he formed, rise to fame. I also became close friends with his bandmates, Sting and Andy. Sting sings and plays the bass while Andy plays the guitar and provides occasional background vocals. I grew close with Sting's wife Frances and Andy's wife Kate too.

I really believe that Stewart and Sonja are a great match. I still live with them and Sonja has always been like the sister that I never had. We got along so well that my plans to move out were changed. Ever since I moved to London, almost every Sunday dinner was spent with Stewart and his family. They have considered me like their own child, which made me feel so special to feel welcome into another family.

My living arrangements may not have changed, but my life has made a quick turn around. I found a four-figure job, which help me pay for my bills and my half of the rent. I have chipped in to pay for The Police's finances as they are still struggling and waiting for the day they reach number one.

"What would I do without you?" Stewart would occasionally ask me.

I knew he asked in the form of a rhetorical question, but I didn't want to leave it unanswered.

"You wouldn't have The Police or my financial skills." I responded.

I picked up my cup of tea from the counter. He stood as still as a statue.

"What?" I asked to check on him.

"Just pondering life." He smiled before I could walk away. "Actually..."

I turned around to let him talk.

"Never mind." He muttered.

"Okay." I replied.

He was so strange for the next few days that he developed an attitude around me. An attitude that was nothing like the kind drummer that I have been friends with for three years. He couldn't stand to be in the same room as me and will almost ignore me constantly.

One night at dinner, he immediately left the table after hearing me speak.

"I don't know what has gotten into him." Sonja said. "He would tell me if he is feeling down."

"I think I should move out." I started a new conversation.

"What? No. We like having you here. Why would you say that?"

"I don't want to be a bother. I'll go live with Sting and Frances for a while."

"Rachel, you're supposed to be our best friend. Whatever is going on, we can talk about this."

After finishing dinner and cleaning up the kitchen, we haven't seen Stewart for the rest of the night. I hope his attitude resolves soon. It might cost us our friendship and we might not be able to speak to each other again. This was worrying me so much because I feel like I did something to upset him.

I went upstairs to hide out in my room, letting guilt eat me inside. I have never felt this bad in my entire life. The last thing I want to do is damages our friendship.

"Can we talk?" Stewart knocked on my door.

"Of course." I replied.

He shut the door and sat down in the chair.

"What do you want to talk about?" I wondered, still in fear of what he might tell me.

"The real reason why I've been..." He trailed off to find the words to fit his sentence.

"A jackass?"

"Yeah, let's go with that. The real reason why I've been a jackass lately is because I'm in between a rock and a hard place."

"What do you mean?"

He paused, letting out a sigh before his next words.

"It's you." He told me.

"Huh?" I replied.

"I like you as more than my best friend."

"That's why you were acting strange around me?"

"Pretty much."

"I'm flattered. I really am, but what about Sonja?"

"She doesn't know."

"As much as I hate to say this; I don't want us to be together and let it screw up our friendship. I think we're better off as friends."

We kept our word to never repeat this to anyone. They got married and I served as the maid of honor. Was I jealous at all? Not one bit.