New Year's (Duran Duran)

Only eight hours left until midnight and it would be 1983. I didn't want to partake in loud celebrations to ring in the new year. This was the fourth year in a row that I didn't have any plans, or so I thought.

"Duran Duran is playing a concert tonight." My friend, Ada, squealed. "We have to go."

"Ada, it's too last minute." I told her.

"No, John got me the tickets. He said I can bring whoever I want."

"Who's John?"

"The bass player for the band. He and I are going to kiss at midnight."

"You're just going to boast about that in my face?"

"Maybe."

I started giving it some thought. My parents have encouraged me to get out and meet someone. All I do is work, go home and sleep that I barely have time for myself. Ada is my best friend that tries to get me to join her for nights out like these. She's more of the extrovert in our friend group while I remain the opposite.

"All right. I'll go." I acquiesced.

"Yay. I know who you can hook up with?" She cheered.

"Excuse me?"

"I meant who you can kiss at midnight."

"I'm not kissing anybody."

"Rach, it's New Year's tradition. What's wrong with kissing?"

"I don't want to kiss a guy and not see him again."

"Come on. I'm going to ask everyone else in our group. Please."

"Okay. I'll go, but I won't kiss anyone. I'll be a loveless loser like some of the other people there."

Ada called our other friends; Brooke, Emily and Nadine, to ask if they want to join us for tonight. They would be there.

"So, if you're kissing this John character at midnight, what about our friends?" I pondered.

"I don't know. They'll find somebody." Ada shrugged while applying her makeup.

I raised an eyebrow over these unfamiliar beings. Yes, I am familiar with Duran Duran and their music, but I can't tell who they are because it never occurred to me to know their names or what instruments they play. They started making music not that long ago, so I shouldn't have to know them right away.

Emily, Brooke and Nadine arrived to our apartment at half past 5:00. We carpooled to the concert in Ada's Chevy Nova with me and Ada in the front seat and Brooke, Emily and Nadine in the back. The drive was spent with music cranked up at a medium volume and encountering mild traffic within seven miles of the venue.

We arrived safely and Ada each handed us our ticket before we could go inside. We were approved and went to find the front row seats that Ada acquired.

"Hey, love." A stranger in a red button down approached our table.

"John." Ada smiled before side kissing his cheek. "These are my friends: Brooke, Rachel, Emily and Nadine."

"Pleasure to meet you all." John greeted us. "I forgot to give you these when you came over."

He handed her a total of five VIP passes.

"You're a doll." She beamed before kissing him.
"We'll see you after the show."

"When you came over?" I hinted.

"Come on. We had dinner and a movie. Nothing to it." She explained. "It wasn't like we shagged in the backseat of my car."

"Ewww." We grimaced.