Dawn of a Cold Day

Chapter 2 - Dawn of a Cold Day

I rose at six in the morning and decided to get a move on the day. I slept fairly good. Well, as good as I ever have. 

Duke was still fast asleep when I went into the barn. A ride on Gunner would do me some good before school. I needed to get out some of my stress and nothing did that better than Gunner.

And, also, I was avoiding my brother because my cut hasn't healed as much as I would have liked. The barn smell would be enough to mask it too.

I saddled up in a western saddle and lead Gunner out of the stable. He was a gorgeous brown and white paint, medium size, and fierce - just like his owner!

I just wish one of the perks of being a hybrid meant I could talk to animals. Wouldn't that be interesting? I know it would sure make life a lot easier. But Gunner and I communicated well enough without words - understood each other.

Sometimes I think he's the only one who gets me. He used to be on his way to a slaughter house when Holt stopped it. He stopped the whole shipment of horses actually, all ten of them. The others live in paddocks outside, living the good life of eating, sleeping, and pooping. Ah, the simple life!

After warming Gunner up a little I took off galloping through the nearby forest trails. They were meant for hikers, but I've never seen any hikers. So running someone over wasn't high on my list. 

Passing the stream on the east side I got to the bottom of the hill. I walked up it on Gunner and we parked ourselves on top. 

I got off of him and tied him to a log by a tree on my right. Then I sat down on the log, waiting patiently as the sun rose up over the planes in the distance. 

It never failed to amaze me how, no matter what goes on in the world, the sun still rises in the east and sets in the west. The most perfect and stunning routine I've ever seen, almost as perfect as the moon. It's better than the moon actually, because it was always whole...complete. 

The sun shined in my eyes as it came up. Gunner even stopped eating his grass to take a look, like he understood the beauty of it as well. It really was like heaven!

After a few minutes I noticed some guy standing a few miles away, also watching the sun rise. At least, I think it's a man. He was too far away to tell, but he was definitely watching with me. 

I smiled. At least I'm not the only one who appreciates the simple beauty of a daily routine.

Suddenly, Gunner nickered beside me and shot his head up in the direction of the man. 

I got to my feel quickly and walked over to untie him, in case he got himself hurt as he was freaking out. 

Crap. The idiot must be a werewolf. Gunner must sense him. He's is so far away that I didn't even consider that Gunner would notice.

"Shh, boy. It's alright. Just a big bad wolf...I've got you. I'm here..." I comforted him, rubbing my hand along his neck.

When I looked in the direction of the guy I noticed that he was not starring at me, probably hearing Gunner's neighing. Surprisingly, he started to take a few steps in our direction. 

I squinted, trying to get a good look at him. Darn hybrid. My eyesight was better than a human, but not that good. What I wouldn't give to be a full werewolf sometimes!

Gunner shook me out of my daze when he started to back up, pulling me with him. Crap, he was going to run soon.

"Alright, fine! Geeze...someone's not a morning person," I teased Gunner as I quickly hopped on him.