Darwin

Chapter 31 - Darwin

 ~ Alexis POV ~

Hank had talked to Qillaq and he was all too pleased to help me, and by extension the pack, and offered us access to his land. Holt, Duke and Flynn had gone there before nightfall to set up the cameras and bear traps and other stuff that was required. Of course, that would only work if we were successful in leading them there. How we would even do that is still a mystery to me. I suppose I could alway wave my hand and yell 'hey, over here!' then run like hell in the opposite direction. Wasn't a sound plan, but it was a plan.

I was really stressing, though, all throughout the night because I wasn't sure about anything anymore. When would they come? Was my twin with them or against them? Should we attack first?

I'm not sure I got a wink of sleep, and I know Mason was up all night with me, but he just held me in his arms and tried to calm me. 

"Well you look like shit," Austin smirked as I walked into the kitchen the next morning.

I rolled my eyes and grabbed orange juice. "Thanks. You look like shit too."

He leaned against the counter and I leaned next to him, both of us drinking orange juice. "Thinking about things?" he said.

"Yup. You?"

"Yup."

"Any idea what to do?" I asked.

"Nope. You?"

"Nope." I chuckled. "Well, this was a fruitful conversation."

"Definitely," he laughed. "Want to go for a jog?"

"Hell no," I stated bluntly.

Then we laughed together. Mason came down the stairs shortly after, dressed for the day.

"What's so funny?" he grinned, taking me in his arms.

"We have no idea what our next move is," I stated.

He raised his eyebrow. "And that's funny?"

"Yup," Austin smirked, taking another sip of orange juice.

"Alright then," Mason nodded. "Well, I've got to go start the pack training. What are you going to do all day?"

"Well, Austin and I are going to go jogging and then do some more training probably. Right?" I looked to Austin to back up my story.

He nodded right away. He was quick witted, I'll give him that. "Yup."

"Alright," Mason pressed a kiss to my forehead. "Stay safe."

I smiled. "Promise."

Then he walked off out the door. Austin was right behind me as I turned around. 

"Okay," he smirked. "Either you've been hit over the head by an invisible mallet within the last ten seconds that has given you short term memory loss. Or you've suddenly thought of something that you want to do and have dragged me into your plan to hitch a ride to Royce and I don't mean the automobile," he rambled.

I rolled my eyes. "You done?"

"No." He sipped his orange juice again, looking smug. "Has an alien inhabited your body, giving you this crazy idea, or did you just lose a brain cell last night."

I sighed. "Really?" I said sarcastically. I was wondering when the old Austin was going to appear. He's been dormant recently, and though I've missed the old bantering him, at the moment it was really inconvenient. "Look, just listen to me, alright?"