Summer Nights

Chapter 5 - Summer Nights

I took a good long bath, relaxing and feeling a lot better now that the meds were working. Being a hybrid, though, meant that they would burn up quickly. So the peace only lasted about an hour before the pain came back. But it was just a slight throb now. Nothing I couldn't handle or haven't handled before. 

I didn't tell Duke the truth though. Well, that was partly true but not the real reason. I hated taking medication because it reminded me of my time with my father. I used to live on tylenol. I'd bring a new bottle to school every week and down them like I was addicted. They never took away the pain, but simply helped to dull it a little. Duke didn't know that though. I was good at hiding things from him. Lying too. 

A little too good, in fact.

And I hated it, but it was for his own good. He didn't need to know how much pain I was in. There was no need to spread my misery.  

But my head was hurting too much not to take some. Usually I'd take three times the advised dosage but I took a little less this time, because I didn't want to be completely out of it for tonight. It was like some weird quick to slow release system that left me stoned while in pain later. 

I took a nap too. That more or less cleared up any pain I was feeling. And, by the time I woke up, I was feeling almost as good as new. 

Holt came into my room just as I was finished putting on my outfit. I was wearing jean shorts again. It was still hot even thought it was night time! Like, really? Not even cooling in the night time? Not as bad as Texas but still. Lighten up weather!

No relief from the heat! 

Then I put on a plaid shirt. I wore my bathing suit underneath it all because past lake experience with Duke told me that I might or might not get thrown in at one point or would have to throw myself in to avoid his wrath after messing with him or pranking him in some way. Though I really didn't feel up to swimming now, so I didn't plan to piss him off. Even if it was fun to see his face.

I could swim today if I wanted to. My cuts were more or less invisible and, by midnight tonight, that wouldn't be the case anymore. This might be my only chance to swim in a while. Maybe I would? I don't know. Still couldn't make up my mind. 

I shivered, remembering the feeling I had when Mason touched my skin. It was both the best feeling and the worst because though he made me feel calm, I've never been more scared in my life. He had his hands on all my scars. And I swear he was even close to deducing what they were exactly. He could never know. 

No one could.

They wouldn't understand.

And, judging by the way he's been acting around me lately, he'd never let me leave the hospital if he knew. 

I hate needles. They'd lock me up in a crazy ward if anyone found out. 

They couldn't know...they just...couldn't.

"Hey!" Holt sang as he made himself comfortable, lying across my bed with his hands behind his head.

I finished buttoning the last button on my shirt and turned around. "What?" I said calmly. Him walking into my room unannounced hardly surprised or upset me anymore. So long as he didn't whistle and wake me up in a fright in the mornings I didn't really care if he came in here.

I think after that month where I didn't let anyone in, he was just happy to have that freedom again. Happy to see me in my room like he begged during those weeks.