United We Stand

Chapter 33 - United We Stand

Mason and I spend a long time at the range and he taught me how to shoot. It's safe to say I was a natural. I already knew how, I just needed to brush up on the skills. He was a better shooter than I thought he was too. I know he hated that he had to teach me to shoot, but it was for the best. In the end, I think he knew that it was better I know how to defend myself than be locked up somewhere while the battle rages on. He already knew that was long out of the question. 

We headed back to the pack when we were done.

"Flynn," I called him and he turned around as we walked out to the field. It looked like the pack had just finished up their training exercise and were packing it up. "How did Darwin do?"

Flynn gave Mason a look that I didn't miss and I wondered what was going on between those two. Mason was up to something. He once told me that he could tell when I lied. Well, too bad for him it goes both ways. But I trust him, so I'll ride it out for now. Eventually I'm sure he'll tell me. I'm sure he has his reasons for keeping it from me, just like I always had good reasons from keeping anything from him.

"He told us the gist of things. We know that Bryce will most likely attack from all sides and that he's got trained Hunters and werewolves on his side. He didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know I guess. But he did say that Bryce is still in contact with Gerald and we can expect anyone that Gerald has to be up around these parts now too," Flynn said.

I clenched my jaw at the sound of this name.

Mason gave me a sympathetic look but I could see the anger beneath his calm exterior. Feel it more too. "So Gerald shipped his whole army up from Texas?"

"Sounds like it," Flynn replied and I felt a shiver run down my spine.

I nodded. "I'm just going to go...do...ya," I turned and walked away towards the house, not being able to talk about it anymore. 

"Alex," Mason called me, sadness in his eyes, and I turned.

"What?" I said in a monotone voice.

"Are you alright?"

I clenched my jaw. "I'm fine." Then I turned and continued walking away. My fists were clenched all the way back home and I slammed the front door closed a little harder than I should have. 

I saw Austin leaning against the kitchen counter, drinking orange juice as usual, and he jumped from the sound I made, nearly spitting out his juice.

"What did the door do to you?" he smirked, putting down his glass and wiping his face.

"Not now, Austin," I warned him and his face turned serious when he saw the angry look on my face.

"What's up, Terminator?" he walked over to me.

I held up my hand. "I just...need a minute to cool off. Where's Darwin?"

"In his room. And, uh, I talked to my brother. I'm telling him to stay away until this is all over, just so ya know."

I nodded. "That's probably best."  Then I walked upstairs. I knocked on Darwin's door. "Hey, it's me. You in there?"

"Come in," I heard him say from the other side. I opened up the door and walked into the plain looking room. It was just a guest room so it wasn't as done-up as the rest of them. "What's up?"

He was sitting on his bed, reading a book when I walked in and I went over to his bed and sat on the edge of it, sighing as I did so. Seeing my probably anger and pain stricken face he put his book down and shuffled closer to me.