To Be Home

Chapter 17 - To Be Home

"How's it coming?" my brother asked from outside my room. 

I was sitting on a chair painting the rest of the wolf, about half way done by now. The rest of my room was finished though, and it looked beautiful. An aurora borealis covered the walls around like ribbons meshed together. The red, blue, purple, yellow, green, all wonderfully blended. The background on the wall was painted a dark blue and I painted stars onto it so that it would look just like the sky I saw in my dream. It turned out way better than I thought it would. I left the wolf to last because I had to do the background of it first. 

Now I was working on the blue glow of it. It was still the same old wolf though - looking up at the moon, howling. I wanted to keep a bit of my past, because it makes the future all that more special.

Holt was downstairs eating I think. After they helped me paint white over the black their job was done basically. I didn't trust them to do the actual 'art' of the painting. Lord knows they'd ruin it or start a paint war of sorts. So I just told them to go eat.

"Mmmm," I told Duke as he stood in my doorway. 

He smiled. "Looks great, sis. Sure you don't want to do this for a living one day?"

"That's what I said," Mason chimed in from behind me. While I was painting he was having fun watching me from my bed, lying down with his hands behind his head. 

I held the blue paintbrush in my hand and looked between the two of them. "Mmm," was all I said again, too concentrated on my painting to take focus off the brush strokes. I really didn't want to screw this up and after the many interruptions I've been getting, it's been a miracle that I haven't already. Complete concentration and ignoring my idiot brothers had proven key to getting the job done.

Duke chuckled. "She ignoring me?" The question wasn't directed at me but Mason I assumed, but I didn't look to check.

"She's in her zone. All contact was cut off when she started. You'll have to leave a message," Mason sounded amused.

I took my brush and was working on the eyes of the wolf now. I had to get them right, because they were so beautiful. A brilliant glowing gold colour.

"Alright, let me know when she's done then. I want to see it when it's finished," Duke said, then he turned around and walked away.

I heard Mason slide down the bed towards me as I was mixing the gold paint. He put his hand on my bitten arm, just over my bandage. 

"It's a little sore," he said and I heard the worry in his voice.

I shrugged. "Just from reaching up a lot, it's fine though. Should heal soon," I said. 

I had the paint can in my lap, sitting on my chair with my back facing him when I felt him pull my hair to the side gently. He started massaging my neck gently, sending those goosebumps up my spine again. I found it hard to even turn the stir stick as his soft hands caressed my skin and got out the kinks in my neck. 

I moaned a little at his touch and I felt him pause his movements for a moment. Next thing I knew the paint can was being ripped out of my hands and placed on the floor. Mason lifted me off the chair like I weighed nothing at all and placed me on his lap carefully while he sat on the edge of the bed. 

I giggled at his eagerness and the look in his eyes told me that his wolf was starting to come out gradually. He placed his hands on my back and massaged up and down, reaching around the curves of my bottom and dragging them back up, lifting my shirt, and revealing my skin that had even more goosebumps now. I intertwined my fingers in his hair and ignored the pain in my ribs as I started to breathe heavily.