Godspeed

Chapter 23 - Godspeed

 You've got a way to keep me on your side

You give me cause for love that I can't hide

For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide

Because you're mine, I walk the line

I felt myself trying to wake up, stirring as I opened up my eyes. The first thing I heard were those lyrics. Johnny Cash I believe. Not the most cheerful song to wake up to, but still, you've got to respect the talent.

Finally I opened up my eyes and realized that I felt unusually good. Maybe a little too good, considering the pain I was in earlier. Instinctually I tried to move but felt restricted. When I looked down at my body, I was still tied to the hospital bed. Then everything started to come back to me. 

The dream.

The burning pain.

I transitioned. That's what that was, wasn't it? That pain? But, what does that mean 'I transitioned'? Is there something different about me now? I felt the same. Besides not having an ache in my body, I felt relatively normal. So what changed?

I bent my head down and saw Mason's head resting on my hand. He looked like he was fast asleep, breathing shallow with closed eyes.

"You're awake," a voice said from the open doorway. I turned and saw Hank standing there with a coffee in his hands. He walked over and placed it down on the table next to me, kissing my forehead. "Man, is it good to see you awake. You gave us quite a scare, you know?"

I sighed and looked to Mason. "He's been here the whole time, hasn't he?"

"Yup. All three days," Hank smiled warmly.

My mouth dropped. "I was out cold for three days?"

He nodded. "This is the first time I've seen him close his eyes the whole time. I told him you'd be alight, but he wasn't exactly in his right state of mind since you were admitted here."

I nodded. "That sounds like Mason. Always worrying, isn't he?"

Hank chuckled. "Yes, he can be stubborn that way." His face fell a little then. "He just doesn't want to see another person he loves leave him. My son's had enough heartbreak for one lifetime. There was no reasoning with him." Hank stroked my hand lovingly. "He loves you very much, you know?"

I nodded, smiling as I stroked Mason's hair. "I love him too." Then I remembered the Exorcist scene from earlier. "Hank. About earlier..."

He waved his hand. "You don't need to explain anything to me, Shunkaha."

My mouth nearly dropped out of my jaw, if that was even possible. I caught my breath as I looked at Hank. "You know?" I questioned, in complete and utter shock.

He nodded. "I'm an Elder, Alex. And I have close ties to Qillaq. I know many things. You're story has been passed down through many generations." He smiled and took my hand in his. "I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime, but here you are."

I creased my eyebrows, still in a daze of shock. "When did you know?"

He chuckled. "That scene from earlier. Your eyes...their colour, the way I felt them look into my very soul. I knew right then it was you. That and your name. I don't believe in coincidences."

"My name?"

He nodded. "Alexis. It means defender. If Qillaq has taught me anything it's that names are not by chance. They are as predestined as our lives."