Family Remains

Chapter 24 - Family Remains

 "You have got to be kidding me!" I said frankly, crossing my arms over my chest, securing my robe tighter. It was getting colder by the minute.

Austin smirked as he walked up to me. "Morning, Alex. How'd you sleep?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'd still be sleeping if it wasn't for you. What do you want, Austin? Couldn't stand not pissing me off for three days?"

He shook his head and took a meaningful step towards me. "You've been gone. I had to make sure...I needed to see that you were alright. What happened?"

I snorted, followed by a yawn. "I'm fine, Austin. What do you care?"

He narrowed his eyes, almost like he was angry. "I care, Alex. Yet you're still too stubborn to realize that. It was cute at first, but now it's just frustrating..."

I rolled my eyes. "Let's cut this short, alright? I'm too tired to take your crap right now."

He smirked. "No, you just want to get back to your boyfriend."

I raised my eyebrows. "He's my mate. And he has nothing to do with this. Just tell me why you came here and then go..."

Austin took a step forward and I immediately took a step back. He sighed, shaking his head. "Relax. I'm not going to hurt you."

"Then why don't you tell me what you are doing?" I watched him carefully.

"I'm trying to see..." he said like it was so completely obvious.

"What?"

He rolled his eyes, frustrated. Why is he frustrated with me? He woke me up! "To see if you've transitioned. I guessed that's the reason for your absence."

I narrowed my eyes and gulped. Memories of him saying, Shunkaha, my 'other' name came into my mind. So long I've been wondering how he knew. Now, I guess, was the best time to ask. We were talking in private and I had something to threaten against him if he didn't cooperate - me. "How do you know what I am? Who told you about Shunkaha?" I asked sternly.

He pursed his lips, a teasing smile playing on his lips. "And why should I tell you?"

I glared at him. "Because I asked nicely. Don't expect me to again."

He smirked. "I've known about you for a long time, Alex. You're the reason why I'm here."

"How could you know when I didn't? I've only just met you! How could you know so much about me in such little time?" I hissed. "And, what do you mean your here because of me?"

He approached me quickly. "What makes you think I've only learned about this recently? How do you know I haven't known about you my whole life?"

"You may be a smart ass, but your not that smart. Someone told you who I was. Which means...we've got a problem. You see...I don't like people knowing my business. I've been suspicious of you for a long time, Austin. Nothing about you seems to fit. I hear you have a brother, but I never see him. You never talk about your mother. You clearly hate your father, yet he's afraid of you, which seems a bit odd in my book. In my experience, if you hate someone, it's usually because you're afraid of them. Then there's times when you disappear into thin air. You know more than you should. For a hybrid you sure do get around. Then there's the issue of your death wish..."

He stood there, taking in all that I was saying. He didn't look happy, but he was remaining quiet. "Death wish?" he scoffed, like he had no idea what I was talking about.