8. A book and a wall

~Seraphine~

She woke up with a yawn and a stretch slowly rising from her bed with a bird's nest for hair. Touching her back through the white cotton nightgown feeling no pain. With a smile, she remembered the fun chat she had last night. Looking at the clock she jumped out of the bed.

'1:55 pm, how long have I been sleeping?? Oh well, I'll be sleeping a lot more these days.'

She walked past her large extravagant closet. Naked feet gently padded against the soft carpeted floor. Eyes scanning the hundreds of lavish dresses she owned most were made of soft tulle or silks with floral patterns. She pulled a comfy satin robe with rose-patterned lace all along the intersection and cuffs. She entered the bathroom and stripped her clothes, looking at her back through the mirror as the water ran. She traced her fingers against the lower back examining it carefully. It was still scarred and bruised but all the gashes were closed. When she dipped herself into the hot tub it stung yet eased the rest of her muscles into relaxation. She laid there for hours staring at the ceiling's mural. It depicted pink clouds in a sky, the sun's light was slowly fading as it fell and a bright purple full moon was in the middle, where the chandelier hung. She stared at how the sun willingly backed down from the sky so the moon could do its job. Oh, how she wished she was the moon, carefully watching over everyone with love while they get ready to sleep. With the sun's full respect and trust. Yet, in this kingdom, the moon never rises leaving the sun to burn all life in its wake.

Flashes of thin bodies unable to get up from the dirty streets filled her mind leaving knots in her stomach. The thoughts continued, mothers crying over their dead children, people stealing from others just to get by, millions of tombstones, the thoughts caused tears to spill down her cheeks and sobs to fill the bath. She couldn't do anything. She was useless, worthless, helpless, weak, just a pretty flower on display.

Kock, Kock

"Are you ok sweetheart?? Do you need help bathing?" Ruth's motherly voice was at the other side of the door.

"N-no I'm fine."

"If you say so, I'll be outside waiting for you. Don't take too long your food will get cold."

"Ok!!" She dipped herself fully into the tub letting the water cleanses every part of her before getting out and drying herself with a thick red towel. She put on the satin robe tying a neat bow on the side of her waist tricking the common eye into thinking she had a curvier figure. When she got back to the main part of her chamber Ruth sat patiently on a chair reading a small book near the balcony doors. The maid's vibrant blue eyes glanced up from the book the bottom of her eyes crinkling up in a smile.

"There's my beautiful spitfire~" Seraphine blushed at the old nickname as Ruth got up. The two women embraced each other with warm smiles. "I was so worried!! My precious child, I swear if he lays a finger on you ever again, I'm going to lose it!!"

"No, no Ruth please I don't want him to touch you or anyone else." Ruth pulled away cupping her cheek.

"I can make my own choices just like you made yours. Bacia told us everything and those lashes looked awful. You've been through so much..." The older women stared at Seraphine with a look of wonder. "But all your suffering will come to an end soon trust me. Now turn around I need to look at those gashes before you eat." Seraphine's eyes opened wide, and her heartbeat started picking up a mile per second.

"No, no it's fine. Don't bother yourself with it I'll handle them myself."

"Oh please, turn around and let me help you." Ruth forcefully moved her body around and let her robe drop to the ground.

"H-how? There's no way...they were so deep." The older women's warm fingers traced the scares on the princess's back. "You knew this??"

"Y-yes"