Chapter XII

Death was the only grace my parents ever blessed me with. Still, I wish I could have been more than just the disappointment.

°°°

Bannahell POV

I waited silently outside the school, struggling to breathe. I sat on the ground, my head between my knees. I could feel tears threatening to fall from my eyes and my heart running a race in my chest. I felt my gut twist and sweat fall on my back.

"Calm down, Ban," I whispered, "don't panic."

But it was too late. My hands were shaking, and my ears were ringing. I felt a sob tear its way up my throat, and I put my fist to my mouth to stifle the sound.

"Ban?" Asked a voice. I looked up in surprise to see Michael. His pale hair was swept over one shoulder, and he held a tray of food. Michael dropped it and ran over. "Ban!" He repeated, kneeling next to me.

I felt tears fall from my eyes, and he touched my shoulder. Without thinking, I laid my head on his chest. He hesitated but wrapped his arms around me and sat down.

"It's ok," he tried to say. I sniffed. "It's ok."

°°°

August POV

I wandered down the street. It was dark out and raining. I pulled my coat tighter around my shoulders and shivered. My brain tried to grasp all that I had learned throughout the day.

They were after Kit Greed, not Kane. But why? Why attack the school of an ex-special force officer? Why? A question that I have yet to answer. I felt my phone buzz.

"August Hellmen buying souls and selling favors since 1865, what the hell do you want?" I asked.

"The date changed," replied a voice.

"What?" I asked and looked around.

"August... Come home already. Your worrying Tobias," the voice said.

I was about to answer when I felt something run down from my nose. I reached up and wiped it away. Blood. God, I hated blood.

"No," was all I said before hanging up. I looked down at my hand in disgust.

I'm running out of time.

°°°

Clarence POV

I couldn't find August no matter where I looked. The docks, a bar, school, our basement. He was just gone like usual. Our family was again falling apart, and I couldn't stop it.

Tobias was drifting farther and farther away from us. Bannahell and Lysander's we're fighting more and more. Lancaster looked more tired every day. Alias was no longer talking. Cas was off drinking. Romeo was barely around. Mordecai was busy with Blue Jay and August had disappeared.

"August!" I called out. It was dark, and my voice echoed off of the empty streets. No cars passed by, no lights were on. It seemed everybody in this small town went to bed simultaneously. "Augustus Alejandro Mario Hellmen!"

Still no answer.

"August, please!" I called out. I sighed and looked up at the skies. It was raining. August wasn't good with the cold. I huffed and looked down at my soaking wet shoes.

A car pulled up next to me, and the window rolled down. I glanced up. The car was sleek and black. I looked at the face and froze. A talk boy with ink-black hair and storm grey eyes sat in the driver's side. He glanced at me and looked away.

"Get in," he said, "I'll drive you home."

"No thanks," I replied, "I'm fine."

"Clare, it's raining," he said.

I raise an eyebrow.

"Go the hell away, Grey," I replied. He sighed and rubbed his forehead.

"Clarence, please," he begged.

I sighed and glanced around.

"I'm looking for August. Have you seen him?" I asked, stalking over to the passenger side and sliding in. I huffed.

"No," he replied. "I haven't."

°°°

Lys POV

I sat down next to Gabriel. He smiled at me.

"Hungry?"

I hummed.

"Where're the others?" He asked, looking around.

"Don't know," I replied.

"You guys get in a fight?" He asked voice laced with worry.

"Yes," I replied.

"Want to talk about it?" He asked.

"No."

We sat in silence. That's when I heard it-a scream. I stood up all of a sudden. My gut lerching in worry, and I ran off. Gabe followed. For some reason, I thought I had to find who was screaming.

And I regret doing it. I stepped out of the building and froze. A small, black-white hair boy was lying on the ground. Bannahell came up from behind me, followed by Tobias and the others. We all froze, and I felt a tear fall down my cheek.

"M-Mordecai?" I whispered.

Tobias ran forward and kneeled. He shook Mordecai's shoulders.

"No," Tobias whispered, "No. No. NO, NO, NO!" He screamed.

"MORDECAI!" Bannahell cried.

I stumbled forward and touched Mordecai's hand. It was still warm.

But there was no pulse. We were too late. Again.