Chpater XV

My mother once told me, "regret is for those who have a heart."

"To become anything in this world, you must be as cold as ice. Willing to kill everyone, including me."

°°°

Bannahell POV

I sat in my car, staring at my reflection in the windshield.

My hands were shaking, and I didn't know why. Everything was expected, and today had started as a good day, except when someone slammed the classroom door to hard, causing me to jump.

I looked down at my hands and saw them clenched into fists.

"Oh God," I whispered, "please. Don't."

The passenger side door opened, and I looked up. Michael put his bag on the floor and glanced at me.

"Are you ok?" He asked. I sniffed.

"Yeah," I whispered back, "I'm all right." He smiled and took out a candy bar.

"I don't know what you like. So I just got my favorite," he said, handing it to me.

I glanced down at it and smiled.

"Thank you, my Angel."

He smiled back.

"Your welcome, Ban."

°°°

Tobias POV

I sat next to Lys, my back straight and staring ahead.

"Tell me," I said, "what's going on with you, Lysander?"

"Nothing," he replied.

"Liar," I growled and glanced at him. "What the hell is wrong with you? You usually listen to me. Why does this boy make you do different?"

Lys sighed and glanced at me, his fist clenching.

"Shut up, Tobias," he whispered.

"You will listen to me, Lysander. I know better!" I yelled.

Lys shot to his feet and turned to me.

"No! You fucking don't! You don't know anything!" He screamed.

I stood up as well.

"I am trying to protect you!"

"From what!?"

"Heartbreak!" I cried. We both went silent. "You have no idea what it's like to love something, and it is gone the next second. You have no idea what it's like to think you know something when truly you are blind."

"Then talk, Tobias!" He growled, his eyes blazing, "talk to us! We can help!"

"Just like Steele did?" I asked. Lys's mouth snapped shut. "He tried to help, and now... And now he's dead Lysander, and it's all my fault."

"Not everything is your fault! I don't need protecting Tobias!" Lys cried, "I'm an adult!"

"You're a child!" I growled, "who thinks he knows the ways of the world!"

"We're the same fucking age!"

"And yet you still know nothing!" I screamed.

Lys glared at me and looked down.

"You can't protect us, Tobi. You never could. Not when dad screamed or when mom left and when Steele died." Lys whispered, "you can't even protect yourself."

He glanced at me.

"Your useless."

I felt a sharp pain shoot to my heart, rattling my bones and making my hands shake. Like I was drowning and being hung at the same time. Like my vision went dark, and I had stood up to fast. Like if the world stopped spinning.

Lys didn't say another word and left. His words hung in the air like a pungent stench, choking me and burying me under a truth I never thought I would ever be told.

And yet, here it was. It was hunting me down and watching as I struggled to the surface.

But sometimes it's better to drown than swim.