Chapter 1: Good time for a change

September 1986 - Benton, Illinois.

"How was school, Honey?" Joyce asked as Will made his way through the front door, shaking the rain out of his hair and kicking off his shoes. Summer had ended suddenly, with rain and thunder the likes of which the family hadn't seen since they'd arrived in Benton almost a year to the day. Fall was settling over the town bringing a welcome, though very wet, change. The school bus had dropped him off at the end of their street and Will had ran the rest of the way home due to the storm that had started in fifth period.

"Good," Will replied, "El's extra curricular will finish about 4:30pm" he adds.

Joyce nods "Jonathan will pick her up after he finishes work"

Will walks into the kitchen to make himself an after school snack. He opens the pantry, and then the fridge-freezer, scanning to see what he can find; Reeses pieces, ice cream, chips, before pulling out the box of waffles sitting on the top shelf.

"We're running low on Eggos" he remarks, non-committal, as he puts the final two in the toaster

"I'll pick some up for your sister when I go grocery shopping tomorrow"

Will nods, listening out for the familiar ping of the toaster, tapping his fingers on the kitchen counter.

He's being evasive, Joyce thinks . She'd gotten better over the years at giving him his space but it was hard to avoid The Motherly Instinct

"Settle back in ok?" She decides to ask instead. His fingers stop suddenly.

"Yeah." He shrugs, trying to be nonchalant "A new boy started"

"Oh?"

"He's nice" a faint blush appears on his cheeks and he becomes super focused on the toaster again "Sat with me at lunch"

Oh.

"What's his name?" It's Joyce that fails at being nonchalant this time. She can hear the eagerness and heavy curiosity in her voice as she asks the question.

"Nicholas. Nick. He likes Nick"

"I see"

The toaster pops, breaking the moment. Will quickly plates up the Eggos, grabs a fork, and hurries out of the room, muttering some excuse about getting an early start on homework.

-

--------------

Late September brings another rainy day and Joyce arrives home after dark, due to running an errand a little further in state.

She walks in to find Will and his new friend Nick, sitting on the couch, watching a movie. They're close, she notes, the only thing separating them being a pillow that has been carefully placed between the two of them. They haven't noticed her enter the room, engrossed in their own little world.

She watches them for a moment, noting an air of confidence around Nick whilst Will seems tense. Nick clearly notices this too, playfully nudging him with his shoulder. Will relaxes a bit more, that faint blush she'd seen a few weeks previous, creeping back into his cheeks. Joyce debates leaving them be, letting them have their moment, not wanting to interrupt but the floor gives her away, squeaking inconveniently and startling the boys.

"Mom," Will starts, wide eyed, the movement dislodging the pillow slightly. He looks small suddenly.

"Hi Honey. And you must be Nick" She remembers what Will said, about him preferring that name. Will still stares at her, almost frozen.

"Mrs Byers" He replies, his demeanour in stark contrast to Will's.

"What are you watching?"

" Parting Glances. Only the most important film of the decade. I saw it at the movies back in February. It's good, right Will?"