Chapter 7: I remember when you were here

December 25th, 1986. Hawkins, Indiana.

It wasn't that Christmas Day in the Wheeler household was uncomfortable. It was more that after the events of the night before, everything seemed to be more heightened. So when Nana Wheeler arrived at 11am, greeting her grandchildren, who were decked in very itchy Christmas sweaters (bearing a grin that their mother had told them to put on) Mike was finding it incredibly hard to hide his discomfort.

"Look at you both," she affectionately pinches their cheeks, "Michael, you're looking more and more grown up each time I see you"

"Merry Christmas Nana"

"And Nancy, your mother tells me you're still working at the Hawkins Post?"

"Yes Nana, deferred College for a year"

"Well, I suppose you know what's best for you don't you"

Mike scoffs under his breath earning himself a subtle kick to the ankle from his sister

"Now, Michael, how's your little girlfriend? Jane, was it-"

" Shall I take your bags Nana?" He interrupts, picking up her suitcase and swiftly guiding her out of the room.

--------------

Dinner was prompt at 2pm, Karen having spent the entirety of the morning making sure the turkey was cooked and stuffed to perfection, the potatoes suitably mashed, and the eggnog having the right nutmeg ratio. If you were to ask if this was meticulously executed as a way to make her mother-in-law happy, she would tell you that 'Christmas is just a special time of year' but Mike and Nancy could tell. They sat around the table, waiting for their mother to carry in the turkey centerpiece, Ted opposite Holly (who was currently reaching for the spoon that was resting in the bowl of potatoes) reading yesterday's paper. Nana was sitting between Mike and Holly with Nancy, on the other side of Mike, next to her Father.

There's a tension that only Mike and Nancy are aware of, not helped by the fact that every few moments they would glance over to one another to find the other looking back. Ted, blissfully unaware, continues reading the paper.

"Michael," it's Nana again and Mike winces, "You never did tell me how Jane is doing, are we going to meet her-"

" Nana ," Nancy chimes in, " Jane actually lives in Illinois. With my boyfriend. Jonathan. They're siblings" she adds unnecessarily

Awkward

*

Mike is sitting, one hand on the side of his head, staring at the cranberry sauce wanting to be anywhere but here. He shifts his eyes to her miming " stop"

Nancy shrugs, apologetic.

Mike glares at her.

There's a small oops as Holly, finally managing to grab the spoon, drops a pile of mashed potato onto the table.

Nana is momentarily distracted from discussing 'Jane', as she turns to scold Holly. Mikes seizes the opportunity to kick Nancy under the table.

*

" I don't know what you think you're doing but stop it" he mutters

" Helping you out actually. Didn't think you wanted a conversation about El right now"

"I don't want a conversation at all."

*

"Michael. Nancy" Nana interrupts. She's looking away from Holly now, squinting at the elder Wheeler siblings. "What are you muttering ab-"