Chapter 10: Just the pounding of my heart

There is a moment of silence before the room erupts into chaos

"What?"

"How?"

"Where?"

"Who was that? How do you know?"

El, who had stayed on the couch since their mom had walked in, is the one who is able to break through the noise. Will didn't need to tap in to their connection, the feelings coursing through El making themselves known without his input. He feels rushes of anger, sadness, confusion and a hope so strong he can't quite bare it. The lights in the living room flicker, halting the barrage of questions being thrown at Joyce.

They all turn to face her, but she barely notices, keeping her gaze firmly fixed on their mom.

"Is he ok? Where is he?" her voice shakes as she says it and there is a look on her face that Will cannot determine.
Joyce turns to face El, a distraught look on her face. She brushes her hair back, trying - and failing - to compose herself, before rushing over to her daughter.

"Oh, sweetheart" she coos. She kneels on the floor in front of the couch, holding El's face in her hands.

"He's going to be fine. He's safe now, he's with a friend"

"Murray, right?" Jonathan interrupts "That's who was on the phone. That's who you were meeting in Sesser. You've known about this for a while, haven't you?"

"Murray" Joyce mutters, more to herself "I have to go - I have to see him" She pulls away from El, stands and starts frantically looking for her keys "Shit! Where are they?"

"Mom, mom, slow down" It's Jonathan again, moving across the room, he takes hold of her hands, halting her search "You're in no state to go anywhere"

"No, you don't understand - I need to go" she tries to pull away but Jonathan is stronger, and he keeps her in his grasp "Mom, you look exhausted. None of us know what's going on, what's been happening. We need to talk. And then you need to sleep. Hop is fine. He's safe. Murray will call if there are any changes, and we'll all be here to hear the phone"

As if manifested by Jonathan's words, the phone rings, piercingly loud throughout the house.

Joyce breaks free of the hold this time, Jonathan's grasp going slack. She bolts for the hallway, picking the phone up after just three rings.

"Murray?" She's frantic as she says it

There's a silence whilst the caller speaks, and Will then hears his mom calling for him

"Will, honey" she says, her voice slightly more grounded "It's Nick!"

As he walks down the hallway and his mom hands the phone to him he notices that she still has a determined look on her face. He's reluctant to let her leave, knowing Jonathan was right when he said she couldn't go anywhere right now. He knows that she'll give in eventually, and that she's safe in the living room with everyone else, but he hates watching her walk away from him. His mom often hides just how much something has worried her, upset her or scared her, but this time Will can see just how much this has her shaken up.

"Hi Nick," He says it quick, eyes following his mom as she walks in the living room.

"Murray? Another friend from Hawkins?"

"Something like that..." Will mutters, though it's more to himself, "Nick, now really isn't the best time-"

"Is everything alright?"

"Yep. Of course. Absolutely fine."

Nick doesn't buy it.

"Will? Are you ok? You sound a bit-"