Chapter 2: Heaven knows what happens now

"No. He's on a date"

"Will's on a date? Will. Is on. A date?"

"Yes. The Movies. Joyce has taken them"

"Right. Well, can you get him to call me? It's been a while"

"Okay Mike. I love you"

"Yeah, you too"

-------------

November 1986 - Hawkins, Indiana.

When Will didn't call the next day, Mike understood. A first date, or what Mike presumed was Will's first date, was a big deal. He could certainly recall what he was like when El and himself could finally spend time together, just them, alone.

When Will didn't call after two weeks, Mike could put it down to homework. School was beginning to ramp up in intensity now the initial 'settling in' month and a half had passed for the party in Hawkins, so he imagined it wouldn't be too different in Illinois. He continued to speak to El, she would tell him that Will was busy with homework but occasionally she would mention another name. Nick.

Nick was becoming more frequent in their conversations; Nick's here today, Will and Nick are reading comics in his room, Nick brought round some records for Will. It wasn't that he didn't expect Will to make a friend, of course not. But they'd been in Illinois for a year at this point and there has been no mention of Will hanging out with, well anyone. El occasionally mentioned a Jackie ( "She helps me with my Math" ) but that was as far as the topic of friends extended outside of The Party.

When Will didn't call after a month, Mike had had enough .

"Mike, please don't stab your fork into the new plates" Karen had said one night as they were sitting round the dinner table. Holly, now 6, eyes Mike before picking up her own fork and replicating what Mike had been doing only a few moments prior. His mother makes a move to remove the fork from her hand before shooting him a look. " Michael'

"What did I do? It's not my fault is it?"

Nancy arrives late that evening. Now a high school graduate, she decided to continue pursuing journalism, something she'd had a summer job doing the year previous before Starcourt, before they left.

"What's the dweeb done now?" She starts, arranging her dress carefully, before sitting down at the table, "taking out the frustration that Will's finally giving him a taste of his own medicine on your china?"

"Will and I are fine. We talked it out. He's probably just busy" Mike shrinks into his seat, picking up his fork again, attacking the peas that moved freely around his plate

" Michael!"

"Mom!"

The phone rings and Mike shoots a look at the basement, then looks back at his mother expectantly, who rolls her eyes, excusing him from the table. He kicks the back of Nancy's chair as he passes, she calls him a name that Holly definitely wasn't old enough to be hearing and down the stairs he scurries. He snatches at the receiver, almost as if his life depended on it, as if this was the most important phone call he was party to for a while.

"Hello?" His voice was alert. Please be Will, please be Will

"...Hi Mike."

It's Will, and Mike breathes.

"Will. Hi. How are you?"

"I'm fine."

See? They were fine

"I've been trying to talk to you for a while now. It's so great to hear your voice!" He cringes. What was that?

Will is silent for a moment before Mike hears almost a laugh through the receiver.