Chapter 8: It's their home and I'm welcome no more

December 26th, 1986. Benton, Illinois.

"You must be Michael" he holds out his hand "I'm Nick"

It wasn't that Mike didn't expect to meet Nick, he gathered it was a given. It was more that he hadn't expected to meet Nick before he'd even entered The Byers household. So naturally, after greeting Will with a full embrace, only to see his boyfriend standing at the doorway, Mike Wheeler felt a little intimidated.

Which was definitely something he would not be letting him know.

"It's Mike actually. Nice to finally meet you Nicholas"

He responds by taking Nick's hand and squeezing a little too hard. Will's looking between the two, his face now reflecting an awkward smile. Mike looks away, not wanting to meet Nick's gaze any longer, and finally acknowledges who else had joined them outside.

"El."

"Mike."

The small wave that he gives her receives a brief look of confusion from Will. Although the look is fleeting, Mike catches it, and flinches. He makes his way over to El, trying to seem as enthusiastic as he was before, and pulls her into a very awkward hug. It's reminiscent of their first kiss in the school hall, the way it takes her off guard, and El stiffens slightly before slowly wrapping her arms around him. She relaxes slightly, giving his waist a small squeeze.

"It's good to see you" she whispers in his ear "I hope you're doing better"

He squeezes her back

"A little bit" He tells her "I hope you're okay, too"

He feels her nod against him

"We can talk more tonight" She says, pulling away from him with a small smile on her face.

"We weren't expecting you guys until a little later" It's Jonathan who speaks this time. He'd come out to greet them whilst El and Mike had been having their quiet conversation. He's stood by Nancy, arm wrapped around her waist.

"Well, someone " she jokes, leaning over to give Mike a small poke in the ribs, "Couldn't sleep. He was so excited to get here"

" No I wasn't- I mean, no. Not that I wasn't excited to get here. I just wasn't that excited...in that sense"

El and Nancy exchange a knowing look between themselves

"Right... Well it's not a problem. Mom's had to just run a few errands, apparently they couldn't wait until a few days after Christmas, but she should be back later" Will tells them, standing by his boyfriends side. Mike looks at Will - he'd been so focused on the concept of Will himself that he hadn't taken the time to properly take him in. He was taller, Mike noted, it wasn't just the way he'd felt during their hug, and he looked happier too. He was dressed as usual, except for the addition of a blue letterman jacket which was too big for him, a giant yellow I was in the left corner. It looked out of place on Will.

"You do sports now?" Mike asks Will, gesturing to the jacket

"Actually, it's mine. I'm on the Baseball team" It's Nick that responds

"I wear it to his games" Will says, blushing slightly "He says it brings him good luck"

"Well isn't that just a thing" Mike replies, forcing a grin, "Bet you win all those games don't you Nick?"

"I think it's cute" El adds

" You would " Mike mutters under his breath, smile still present.

"I don't want to say my winning streak has gone up but my home -" Nick gives Will a grin