Chapter 4: A tough kid who sometimes swallows nails

November, 1986. Hawkins, Indiana.

When Mike invited Lucas and Dustin over that afternoon, the day after the phone call, he was expecting Lucas and Dustin. Not Lucas, Dustin and Max.

"What's she doing here?"

"Afternoon to you too Mike. Always a pleasure" She says, taking a lollipop out of her pocket, unwrapping it, popping the lollipop into her mouth, throwing the wrapper at Mike's head.

He took them into the basement, turning down the volume on his cassette player that was currently playing a mixtape. The mixtape Will had given him before he left (" I know you don't normally give someone a gift if you're the one leaving soon but listen to it sometime. Maybe it'll change your rotten music taste")

Don't You (Forget About Me) by Simple Minds simply became background noise.

But if Mike thinks the song is horribly fitting, he doesn't let on.

He goes and places himself on the couch, Max taking a seat on the arm of the chair Lucas was sat on, with Dustin, on the other side of Mike himself.

"I called Will" He admits

"Wow, you actually spoke to him? That's a bold move"

"See," He directs this to Lucas, " This is why I said NO Max"

"What are you five?" she retorts

Lucas sighs before indicating that Mike should continue.

"It was good. We were good. We spoke about our phone call the other day and then it was just us talking about everything, and nothing and it was easy. It was us. Well until Nicholas decided to just intrude. I just don't trust him and I'm sure Will doesn't need him breathing down his neck 24/7. I could tell he was annoyed, you know? First he answers The Byers' phone, then drags Will away at the end because it's been half an hour. "

"Ever consider that maybe you'd interrupted them?"

"What on a date? Please Lucas, even I could have come up with a better date idea than that. Besides, Will clearly didn't care that much if he spoke to me for half an hour"

"Oh wow. You're jealous"

Mike scoffs.

"But I get it. It's natural when your best friend starts hanging out with someone else"

Yes, exactly. Exactly

"Think what it was like when Max met us when we were out trick or treating," How could he forget really. He'd been furious, admittedly because it seemed like everyone was just pretending there was no chance that El was alive. But then Will had run off, he'd found him, he'd taken him home. ("Hey Will. If we're both going crazy, we'll go crazy together right?")

"But this feels different Lucas. This is Will" And there was Max smirking again, still sucking the lollipop and he wished she would stop. "I just mean," he corrects himself, speaking directly to Max for a moment "I've known him for ages. We've been friends forever."

Don't You (Forget About Me) finishes and a song that Mike doesn't recognise by The Smiths begins

He pauses for a moment, considering his next choice of words. Max still studied him and he hated it . Lucas' eyes flicker to Dustin's before moving to the couch, where Dustin and Mike were situated. He sits, placing a reassuring hand on Mike's shoulder, giving him a small smile.

"Hey, we get it man. We all miss Will"

"Yeah, it's been a year and it still feels weird him just not being here" Dustin adds.