Chapter 13: Epilogue: I never wanted anyone like this, it's all brand new

January 2nd 1987, Hawkins, Indiana

"Happy New Year Mike! How was Benton?" Karen asks as Mike throws open the front door, ditching his bag down in the walkway. It was around 5pm when the Wheelers, and the rest of The Party, arrived back in Hawkins. It seemed colder in Indiana, though Mike wasn't sure if it was the weather or the change in atmosphere after leaving Illinois.

"Yeah great, talk later" he runs down into the basement ignoring his mom shouting ' Michael!' as he slams the door shut. He can hear his Mom talking to Nancy upstairs, and though he can't pick out every word he hears something along the lines of "was it awkward with Jane?"

"No, I think Mike happened to have a great time" he can just about hear Nancy reply. He rolls his eyes at her response before picking up the receiver and dialing a familiar number.

"Byers Residence"

"Can I speak to El please?"

"...I'm hanging up"

"I'm kidding" a beat "I miss you, already"

"Come back then?"

"Wow Will, not saying it back? You wound me"

"What did you want me to say? That I cried the second you left-"

"He did" El's voice sounds clear as Will's tails off

"El give it back" Mike hears the siblings fighting over the phone, a muffled noise ringing out from the speakers

"I'm putting the phone down." Mike says bluntly

It's after picking up a ' ha!' and a 'go away El' Will finally responds "I do too. Miss you already I mean."

"See, was that so bad?"

"Don't make me take it back."

Mike laughs

"You wouldn't. How are you all doing? Aside from missing me you know"

He hears Will chuckle slightly, and Mike thinks it might be one of the most wonderful sounds he's heard

Wow, Mike. We're really at that point, huh?

"We're not too bad. Mom's gone to Sesser now to spend the night with Hop- get him ready for tomorrow. So, a quiet, uneventful night in with Jonathan"

He hears Will lower his voice "The lights are going a little crazy."

"Is she ok?"

"Yeah, just restless. She can't wait to see him" Will reassures before adding "We've decided to work on it by the way. The creepy sibling business, I mean. Figured it might come in handy to know what to do with it"

"When did you decide that?"

"Pretty much as soon as you drove away?"

"No point in wasting anytime I guess, especially with the light show in the kitchen yesterday" Mike teases slightly. He hears Will snort and feels his face flush.

"But seriously Will, how do you feel about that? Honestly."

He hears Will sigh through the phone "I tried to ignore it for so long because of, you know. But I think I'm getting there with accepting it. I was the one that suggested we work on it after all. I think we can make it a good thing. You also never know if..."

What Will means doesn't need to be elaborated.

"Well, I'm proud of you, Byers" Mike tells him "Real proud"

"Thanks" Will pauses "I do miss you by the way. I wish you were still here"

Mike feels warm.

"I do too. I've been thinking. Maybe you could get Jonathan to drive you up for the weekend sometime soon. Don't know how i'll cope until Spring Break"