Chapter 3: Slow change may pull us apart

November, 1986. Benton, Illinois.

Saturday finds Will and Nick on the Byers' living room sofa, ready for what Nick had dubbed "a magnificent movie date from home". Joyce and El had gone grocery shopping, El insisting she had to tag along (" Mom, you never remember my new favourite flavor of Eggos") so it was quiet in the house, save for the soft conversations between the boys, and slight music coming from Jonathan's bedroom. Before the boys can decide on their movie and snack choices, Jonathan interrupts, walking into the living room.

"Will, I've been called into work," he says, pulling on his jacket "Are you two going to be alright until Mom and El get back?"

Will nods "We'll be fine"

"Are you sure? Call if you need anything. Mom should be home soon, anyway"

"Jonathan, go" Will insists "Before you're late. We're fine"

Jonathan nods, slips on his sneakers and practically runs out the door, throwing a quick "Bye" to the boys.

Once the door has closed behind him, Nick turns to Will, suggesting their movie options for the afternoon "I brought Pretty in Pink or The Breakfast Club "

Will remembered Pretty in Pink from The Party's spring trip to Illinois. They'd all gone to the movies and it was the only thing on. Remembering Dustin's outrage when Andie had ended up with Blane, rather than Duckie, Will decided he really didn't need to sit through the whole movie again, just to watch her end up with the wrong person.

" The Breakfast Club " He chooses, receiving Nick's approval. "You set up the VHS, I'll get the snacks" he says, standing from the sofa and making his way out of the room.

It's while Will is in the kitchen, preparing the popcorn that he hears the phone ringing from the hallway. He'd been lost in his head, simply standing and watching the microwave spin. He shakes his head, dislodging himself from his thoughts, and heads toward the kitchen door. Before he can reach his destination, he hears Nick calling "I'll get it! Just focus on not burning our food like last time"

To say that Nick was looking forward to his first conversation with Michael Wheeler was very much an overstatement. So when he answered the phone to an unfamiliar voice insisting that he speak to Will, his best friend, Nick found himself in an interesting position.

"It's rude to demand without saying hello first"

"Can you put Will on the phone? It's urgent."

"Urgent enough to not greet the person you're speaking with first?"

"Where is he?"

"Where is who ?"

He hears Mike sigh through the receiver

"Can you put Will on the phone? Please."

It's a sarcastic response, but Nick counts it as a small win.

"He's in the kitchen. Now, mind giving me a reason I shouldn't hang up this call now Michael? Seems like it's something you'd be familiar with"

Silence.

"...he told you?" Mike's voice deflated and Nick's small win turned into a hollow victory.

Before Nick can reply, Will hurries down the hallway, swiftly taking the phone out of Nick's hands. He doesn't have to ask who's on the phone.

"It's me Mike, just give me a sec."

Nick raises an eyebrow at Will, who mouths 'I'll be fine' before giving him a quick peck on the cheek, telling him to get the movie ready.