2: 07

While Mal spoke with Ben, Carlos asked Kiara and Lonnie, "You guys okay?"

Lonnie nodded. "Yeah, I'm good."

Kiara gave him a small smile. "I'm okay. I think."

Carlos returned her smile. "Nice work out there, Lonnie! You too, Kia. C'mon, Dude." The dog followed him. "Hop in. Ha! Now you listen to me."

"Let's go!" Lonnie said.

Mal waved her friends over. "C'mon, c'mon, c'mon!"

They climbed inside the limo and Ben turned to Mal. "I'm really sorry that things didn't go like the way you wanted them to."

Mal glanced at him. "As long as you're safe, that's..." She let out a sigh.

"At least I got to see the Isle. They're my people too. Uma helped me see that."

Mal frowned. "Ben, Uma captured you."

Ben sighed. "She's an angry girl with a bad plan. It's not so different from you when you came to Auradon, Mal."

An uncomfortable silence fell upon them. Dude broke the silence. "Awkward."

Carlos frowned at the dog. "Dude, I know you can talk. But that doesn't always mean you should."

Jay turned to Lonnie. "Here we go! Why don't you stop by practice later?"

Lonnie smirked. "What, in the mood to break some rules?"

Jay shook his head. "No."

When they got back to the school, Lonnie grabbed the swords. "I'll get these back to the gym."

"Thanks."

"See you later."

Jane seemed relieved. "Ben, there you are! Cotillion is tonight! Look; this is the stained glass window for Mal. Isn't it beautiful? She's going to love it!"

Ben glanced at Mal. "Do you want to cancel?"

Jane glanced between them. "Um, you know what? I can come back, like really soon."

Ben shook his head. "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Now's fine." He turned to Mal. "Do whatever you need to do."

Evie looked between Catherine, Kiara and Mal and took their arms as they walked away. "We need to talk."

Mal nodded. "Yeah."

Carlos and Edward shook their heads. "No."

Evie frowned. "No?"

"You guys are always going off to a huddle, whispering your girl talk stuff or whatever, and Jay, Ed and I are tired of it," Carlos said.

Jay glanced at Carlos. "I'm not."

"We're your family too. We've been through a lot. Together. We're not stopping that now. Okay? Everyone sit. Come here... you too." He paused. "I don't know how to start girl talk."

Jay looked at his friends. "What up?"

Mal frowned. "Um, well, I'm a mess. I'm such a mess. I mean, six months ago, I was, you know, stealing candy from babies... and now, everyone wants me to be this Lady of the Court, and I have no idea how to keep up the act."

Carlos and Edward gave a small smirk. "Then don't."

Jay frowned. "See, this was dumb."

Evie turned to Mal. "Maybe it wasn't. We are always going to be the kids from the Isle. I tried to forget. I really tried. But those are our roots. And well, we did what we have to do to survive. But it made us who we are. And we're never going to be like anyone else here. And that's okay. That's okay."

Carlos nodded. "And we can't fake it."

"No," Evie and Catherine answered.

"Yeah, I mean, especially not without my spellbook," Mal added.

Carlos turned his gaze to her. "Mal, if Ben doesn't like the real you, he's not the one."

Evie and Kiara smiled. "I like that."

"Give him a chance."

Kiara pulled he legs to her chest. "I miss my dad. Being there, just knowing he was close, made me feel at peace, at home. But here there will always be a part of me missing."

Edward moved closer to her and took her hands. "Kia, I know how much your father means to you. And if you decide to go back and stay, that's your choice. No one here will tell you otherwise. But if you go back, I will too."

Kiara smiled softly. "Thank you, Ed, but you don't have to."

"I want to, Kiara. I want to be where you are, whether it be here or the Isle."

Evie smiled and thought for a moment before turning to Mal. "I'm going to make some changes to your dress, and if you're up for it, and only if you're up for it, it'll be waiting for you. Okay?" She then mouthed to Carlos, Edward and Jay, 'Thank you.'

Carlos stood. "Come on, buddy."

Evie, Edward, Catherine and Carlos walked away and Jay turned to Mal and Kiara. "Come to Cotillion tonight, all right? If Ben isn't smart enough to love you, and you can't stand another day, I'll drive you back tomorrow myself. Okay? And Kia, if you absolutely need to, if you want to stay with your father, I'll take you back as well."