3: 03

The next morning, Evie, Mal, Catherine and Kiara were sitting in the sewing room of Evie's cottage. Mal informed them that her mom's scepter and the crown had been stolen.

Evie sat down and asked, "Who else knows about the crown and the scepter?"

Mal shook her head. "No one. I mean, think about it. People are scared enough as it is. We have to employ these new security measures."

Catherine frowned. "What new security measures?"

Evie glanced at her and nodded. "Will this delay in bringing over more VKs?

Mal seemed slightly off as she answered, "We're talking about closing the barrier for good."

Evie was silent for a moment. "But you said no. I mean, the six of us are living the dream here, and we finally get to share that. I mean, what could be more important than that?"

Mal nodded. "I know." She sat down in the chair behind her. "I mean, maybe security or maybe peace of mind for everyone in Auradon."

Kiara pursed her lips. "You protecting everyone from him would prevent me from seeing my father. That's a cruel thing to do, Mal."

Evie frowned. "Is that what they're thinking? And were they seriously thinking that no one will ever go in or out of the Isle again? What, we never get to go back and see our parents? Kiara never gets to go back and her father? The only really good parent on the Isle? And what about those kids?" She stood. "We promised they that they could go back and visit whenever they wanted."

Mal looked down sadly. "Yeah, I know."

Evie took Mal's right hand. "M, I am so glad that you are going to be queen. You will be a part of these conversations, you will stand up for the VKs. Thank you for telling me. For telling us." She hugged Mal. "You're gonna be a great queen."

Evie and Kiara left Mal and made their way into the kitchen. They were packing things for Jane's birthday party. Carlos appeared and tossed a couple towels into a basket. "Morning. Got the beach towels."

Jay was eating something as he said, "These."

"Hey," Evie greeted.

Catherine looked at the cake and smiled.  "I really think she's gonna like the cake you guys."

Kiara smiled lightly. "I should hope so. We worked hard on that."

Jay and Edward grinned. "Oh yeah?"

Catherine walked closer to the cake and her expression dropped. "Oh no. Okay. Who got into Jane's cake?"

While the group attempted to solve the mystery of the cake culprit, they heard yelling outside.

They ran out to see what they supposed was Mal hunched over. She was wearing a black robe and had been turned into an old hag. We saw Audrey. She was a lot different than when we'd last seen her. She was wearing black and pink garments, and her hair was a dark pink and purple color. She had the crown on her head and Maleficent's scepter in her right hand.

Audrey glared at Mal. "You'll pay the price for what you did, and so will all of Auradon! So long, suckers!" She disappeared in a cloud of pink smoke.

Jay turned around and gasped. He hadn't noticed Mal when the group had run outside. "Whoa! You might wanna think of a spell for that."

Mal shook her head. "There's no spell that can reverse the curse of the scepter."

Carlos frowned. "Well that's a shame."

Edward nodded. "A real shame."

"Forget about me," Mal told them. "Audrey's out for revenge, and all of Auradon's in danger."

"What should we do?" Evie wondered.

Mal looked up at her friends. "The only thing more powerful than the scepter... is Hades' ember."

Jay scoffed. "Oh. Like he's just gonna hand it over, give them back to the Isle."

"And no one knows where his lair is," Evie added.

"I do," Celia said. "I'm his errand rat. I've got the key at my dad's."

Mal smiled. "You are coming."

Celia backed away as an annoyed expression overtook her face. She let out a sigh. "I just got here."

Dizzy and Mae stepped outside with Smee's twins and screamed. "Mal?"

Evie walked up to them. "Dizzy, stay here to take care of the twins and Mae. We'll be right back and everything will be just fine. Go inside." They went inside and Evie turned back to her friends. "Guys, go get your stuff."

"Come on, boys. Let's go," Dizzy called.

Mae took the twins' hands and led them away.

Mal looked at Catherine, Kiara and Evie. "How bad is it?"

Evie's eyes flicked to Kiara and Catherine's before she said, "You age beautifully. Now, let's just get you into something fabulous."

Catherine smirked lightly. "I know just the thing."

Mal nodded and smiled sweetly at her friends. "Okay."

"Come on," Evie and Catherine said, walking ahead.

Kiara cleared her throat and they looked back. Together, the three of them slowly helped Mal inside.

Evie nodded encouragingly. "Okay. Oh, yeah, there we go."

"Okay," Mal said again.

"Almost there."

The girls entered the cottage and grabbed what they needed.