#16: Beers & BFFs.

I almost had you, didn't I?

Isabella

"Edgar West says he needs an extension," Ryan says from the other end of the phone. 

"What?" My dad groans. 

The conference call was not helping. I closed my eyes to think and restrained myself completely. Today's day was not going well. My throat was constantly drying up, my lips were going numb, my fingers have been continuously unsteady, my palms are sweating, and my lungs won't calm themselves down. 

"How long?" I say into the phone. 

"15 days," Ryan immediately says. "Engagement preps is what he's using as a vindication."

"Bella, is this really worth all this?" My dad says in a soft voice. "Steinem is unheard of. I don't know why you're behind this. It's not going to open any doors. There's this publishing house in London--"

"--Dad, do I need to repeat myself again?" I try to sound tough.

"Is Steinem that important?" He asks me and I know Ryan is feeling extremely awkward on the other line. 

"Yes," I say without thinking. 

"Okay then, I won't interfere. This case is yours and you can command it now." He says and I don't know if he's fed up or he's so confident that he thinks I can manage it on my own. Either way, I'm happy he's giving me the control. "Ryan?" 

"Mr. Cosmo," Ryan answers immediately. 

"Do as she says, give her whatever she needs," Dad says and I smile, thanking him for not making this too difficult. "Bella, call me if you need me to come in anywhere." 

"Yes, I will." I sigh. "Thank you,"

"Good luck," Dad mutters before I see his line end. 

"Ryan, do you think West is talking to other people?" I ask biting my lip. By other people, I was referring to a specific person.

"Possibly. Who prepares so much for an engagement? I mean, the engagement parties are usually small and low-scale, right? A week and then added 15 days, doesn't fit." I heard papers ruffling from his end. 

"Try to find out and if he is talking to other people, whatever the numbers are, offer him more--"

"--but that--"

"--I need to table this conversation at any cost." I close my eyes and let my head fall back on my shoulders. 

"We will get other opportunities, you know? You don't have to stress yourself with this one." I know he was trying to be supportive but this is not the kind of support I need right now. We've worked on this for two years, and he's the only one I completely trust not to blow this up. 

"No, Ryan, I need this now. And you know what I mean when I say now." My fingers tighten the grip on my phone. 

"Got it. I'm exercising full power." He says and I hear him breathe loudly. "We got this." 

"Keep me posted," I say as I cut the call. 

By the time this call ended, the sun had set and the sky was a dark blue. After the episode in the 710 suite this morning, I never went back into the resort. I've spent the entire day on the beach, loading myself with work, and the only way I could calm my temper after the fiasco was when I talked to Katherine. But it took me longer than the pills. I wasted almost six hours just trying to get my lungs to breathe properly, and still, I don't feel normal.

Edgar West wanting an extension, the delay of Steinem, not having my car keys and the two-time make-out session with Austin in two days has my head spinning like a mixer. I want to call Grace but I'm too scared to dig the whole pill episode again because it would rake up a lot of other things. And although I wanted to keep my promise to Lily, I wasn't functioning properly without it.