#32: Drunk & Digs.

power and privilege always come together

Austin

"Thanks, Gigi," I heard Liam says as he hung up. I see him folding his lips and giving Jason a thumbs up. 

The sunset was beautiful to gaze at from the boulders on the beach with a beer in hand. My worry slightly grew with the darkening of the sky when she still hadn't returned. I remember her telling me she'll be back before nightfall. 

Well, the night fell and she's still not here anymore. A pang of doubt spreads through my chest when I don't spot Jacob Miles anywhere around us. It's one thing that he came to the wedding uninvited, it's another problem that he came and bonded the most with her. As we were exiting the beach, Ashley and he entered it. 

The cold exchange of stares between the bin and him was ruptured when Chloe, Julie, and Mason wished him with huge grins. 

"We'll be in the clubhouse playing billiard," Julie tells us and I smile, nodding. "Do you want to come along?" I'm about to take that offer when May shakes her head at me. 

"I'm tired," I say and Julie immediately backs away. She puts her hands around Mason and Chloe as they walk away inside the resort. I'm happy she's happy. 

My excuse wasn't fake either. I was tired of all the deliveries and service guys that kept driving in to fix the halls, and set up the decorations and the ethics department arrived with a bomb squad to check the entire resort for anything "fishy" as they quoted it. We were busy guiding them around, smiling constantly at Maya Sen's huge Indian family who seemed too lively and happy for Frankfurt. 

May put her arms in mine as she guided me to the cafe table that Liam and Jason already sat on. Jason was working on his computer and Liam was facing his phone screen. "We got Ryder's number from Grace. I'm calling him now. I'll put him on speaker. It'll lessen the burden of explaining later." 

The mention of Ryder's name is enough to make me tsk and look away rolling my eyes. I groaned, brushing my hands through my hair as I lean on the four-seater table and watched May tapping her phone, copying a number that Liam is showing from his screen. She taps the speaker button and the phone rings. I don't even know why I'm nervously waiting to know the result of this call. 

He picks up after eight rings. Egoistic. "Hello?" I hate his voice. 

May takes a loud breath as she looks at Liam and he gives her an assuring nod. "Ryder Harvey? Hi, this is Maya Sen, I'm Bella's best friend." 

I smile when she purposely stresses on 'best' in 'best friend' but the smile drops when he struggles to recognize her. "Are you calling from Frankfurt?" 

"It's my wedding she's attending. We already spoke the other day." She says with gritted teeth and I know she already hates him too. My smile widens. 

Ryder curses. "Shit, I am so sorry. Right, I remember you. Congratulations on the wedding, if I hadn't told that already." 

Awkward. He's as awkward as any socially introverted human can get. I don't blame him. I know it's common to mess up names when you're a workaholic and a douchebag. 

"Thanks," she says rolling her eyes. Jason and I hold back a laugh. "Are you busy right now?" 

"Uh--" I hear gushes and papers on the other end. "No, Maya, tell me." 

"I wanted to ask you something. It's about Bella." May says gulping. 

"What happened? Is she okay?" His reaction is so immediate I hate that he cares so much about her.