Fight Firm.

NEW YORK - 3 Years ago

Isabella

Ryder Harvey's car comes to a halt in front of the Fight Firm gates in Philadelphia. He offered me to give a ride because I refused all his other birthday gifts. I pull my short black french braid to one side while I turn to him with a smile. His eyes fall on my hair before they meet my eyes. None of us like this change, but what Dylan Roy, my trainer said one year ago, stuck with me. Red was a color that caught everyone's eyes. With my whole life turning into a sabotage mission, I need to dodge all eyes that shoot my way. Not attract them.

I got it dyed as soon as the salon opened in the morning last year. My waist-length hair was chopped and turned completely black. Just like my heart. In the last year, it's grown from my shoulders to the middle of my back which reminds me that I need to get it chopped again. Once, every birthday. It's a gift and a reminder to myself. 

Fight Firm had become a daily routine over the last ten months. I'd learned so much in less than one year, Commander Dylan Roy was shocked himself. Today, I was going with a motive. I was going to approach something, which if done right, I might have a huge insider aide. 

"Happy birthday, Bella," Ryder says tilting his head. His smile makes me sad. His words too. 

Nothing about that wish emanates happiness. 

I give him a pursed smile. "Thanks, Ryder." I begin to open the door to his car. "Can you please tell Sloan that I'll finish my writeup and email it to her before 11 pm? Also, please check on Lily. I know we said we wouldn't disturb her time with her grandad and I know that Jackson is there on guard 24/7 but I still need to--"

He held my hand and my eyes shot down. He immediately released it, looking away. "Sorry, but can you breathe, Bella? All I've seen you do since last year is switch completely to work mode. You're a totally different person. It's your birthday today, can you please at least act like you're happily turning 23?" 

"I'm not an actor, Ryder. You're getting me confused with my sister." I shake my head at him. "And no matter how special a day it is, to me, it's just another day in my life. More so, a reminder that I'm losing time." 

I show him my watch as I open his car door and his hand stops me from getting down again. He retrieves it immediately, even before I shoot him a glare. 

"I'll tell Sloan and I'll check on Lily. I'll be here after three hours to pick you up." I open my mouth to deny the favor but he shakes his head at me. "No way in hell am I going to let you come home alone. It's human ethics, please." 

My lips tug upwards as I nod at him. "I'll be a little late. Remember? I'm going to approach him today. I'll need time explaining things to him." 

Ryder's jaw clicks and he grips the steering wheel in annoyance. He doesn't like me talking about my real identity to anyone else. The last time I did that, people almost took advantage of me. Here, in Philadelphia, I go by Nicole Finch. Cosmo attracts the eyes and I can't play spy if everyone knows me. 

I gulp when I see his knuckles turn pale because of his tight grip. If it wasn't for him, I don't know how I would've gotten home that day.

My fingers shake as I touch his arm. He looks at it, confused. It's not every day that I respond to touches, let alone, initiate any physical contact. I take my hand off when I realize I can't do it. I need more time to get over incidents and get accustomed to physical touches.