Chapter 21

NoPoV

Everyone watched the city fall while Clint and Leona raced to make it on the ship. With baited breaths they saw Leona practically walk on air and go back to the falling city after she put Pietro's body down. For a moment nothing happened but then the city turned to dust. Buildings everywhere crumbled like crackers and the dust and sand it turned into was caught in a giant container. "Where is she?" Natasha asked no one in particular. "Leona!"

"I see her." Tony said before taking off. He brought the blonde back, and she was hugged and checked for wounds. Pushing off the humans, she walked to where Wanda was mourning her brother's death. Wanda, not trusting the blonde, prepared to defend her twin, but Leona simply used her gift and restrained the girl. Then she reversed the done damage and Pietro came back to life. He sat up with a gasp at the same time Leona fell over, fainting.

After a few moments, she began screaming and her body began convulsing. Making sure she wouldn't get hurt, they watched as eventually the jerking and screaming stopped. Clint and Natasha approached the girl calmly wanting to see if they could help her somehow, but she didn't react to anything. "She is in severe pain. As if fire is running through her veins." Wanda spoke softly. She had used her gift to read the blonde's mind.

"She is changing somehow. I think she is becoming more vampire than before." Clint said. "How? She had said that in order to turn, humans need to be injected with venom of a full vampire. A hybrid's venom isn't potent enough to work."

"She gave up at least part of her human side to save you." Natasha realized looking at the twins.

"Why would she do that? We are mere strangers who sided with the enemy."

"She wouldn't see it that way. Since you are still young, and with your background, she believes you merely made decisions you believed to be right and learned from it when you chose to help us save your people. And perhaps other reasons are part of her choice as well. We don't know."

"Let's just keep her safe for now, until she wakes." Which was what the team did. They made sure Leona was kept from getting hurt while she changed. Once back home Tony revealed the new base, where the twins and Vision, began their training. Natasha took care of Leona before checking on the new trainees' progress with Steve.

Clint had gone to his family. Thor was preparing to go home, due to what Wanda had shown him. No one knew where Hulk was. Thor, Tony and Steve discussed Mjolnir and the infinity stones while the young god of thunder went outside. And for a while, things were quiet. Wanda and Pietro, to repay the blond vampire hybrid, looked after her. It was on day three after they joined the Avengers, that Wanda sensed there was no longer severe pain and fire on Leona's mind.

"I think she's waking up." She suddenly told the team at breakfast.

"That's good news. Though be careful. We don't know what changed and how much control she still has over herself." Steve said.

"Who are we talking about?" a voice asked from the entrance. Turning to the source, the team saw Leona looking like normal. Though perhaps a little paler.

"We were talking about you, how are you feeling?" Natasha asked.

"I feel okay, just thirsty." That was a relief.

"And hungry?" Steve asked.

"No. Just thirsty. And I get either a bag or two, or the delicious smell here means someone is about to donate some blood fresh from the source." She warned the humans though if they didn't know better it sounded more like a threat.

"There is some fairly fresh blood in the fridge." Natasha pointed. The humans in the room were relieved Leona seemed at least able to talk with.

She sped to the fridge and opened the door, ripping it off in one go. Surprised, she dropped the door and stepped away. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to break it." Leona apologized.

"It's okay, why don't you go sit down? Try to restrain your speed or you might ruin the chair." Natasha suggested.

Leona did just that but her speed still caused the chair to almost fly across the room. She barely managed to sit in it. In the meantime Wanda had grabbed a bag of blood and put a straw in it. She handed Leona the bag, who seemed hypnotized by the red liquid. Once it was within reach, she grabbed it quickly, nearly spilling the contents, before sipping from the straw.

Color returned to Leona's eyes, going from black with thirst to red, from recent feeding. "Much better." She commented once the bag was empty.

"Is it true then? Did you change more into a vampire?" Wanda asked.

"I had no choice. It was either that or your brother would've died. I gave him part of my human-side before it was too late or hell would've been raised for breaking the rules of my gift." Leona answered.

LeonaPoV

"Why risk it all for a person you barely know?" Steve inquired.

"Your care for one another reminded me of another pair of twins I once knew. You both have gone through a lot already and that was before you got your powers. You'll need one another for whatever is yet to come." I answered looking at Wanda and Pietro.

"Thank you." Pietro said. "We can't ever hope to repay you for this kindness."

"We'll see." Was my reply to that.

"So what all changed for you?" Natasha asked.

"My strength and speed, as I just demonstrated. also my need for blood and my control over my vampiric abilities. I still have no reaction to sunlight, so that's a plus, and I lost any wish for normal food. It smells disgusting to me." I explained with a pout as I couldn't eat roasted chicken sandwiches with honey-mustard sauce anymore.

Natasha seemed amused as she put a comforting hand on my shoulder. "You'll be fine. Do you need to train your control again?"

"Yes, that would be best. I don't want to accidentally break someone's hand while shaking it or something." I was happy I still had some care for human life. Perhaps my transition won't be as hard to adjust to.

"I can help with your speed." Pietro offered.

"Unfortunately Thor is gone. He could've helped with your strength." Steve said. "I can try of course but I doubt I'll be much help." 

"That's okay." and so began the training of my... upgraded... version of myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The first life has been saved. how many more can she do?

What do you think got her to walk on air?

Let me know what you think and...

Have a nice week!!