15.

When all we feel is anger toward those who wronged us, we must act on it and truly thrive through it.

The Alpha Heathen.

|'~°

Carter.

I knew I couldn't do this alone, I needed people I trusted, people who would die for me and vice versa, but I couldn't call my husband, he had a lot to deal with already, so I would call the next best thing, he would be here at the drop of a hat. So I made my way home in cold silence as I formulated a plan, I needed to get into that facility soon because those kids were in more danger now than ever. Walking into the house, it was eerily silent, but that was because everyone was mourning the dead beta, his wife had just been buried and now he too had died, my mind also wandered to Denara Harrison, why hadn't she been at any of these funerals, as luna, shouldn't she have been in charge of organizing everything, truly there was no love lost between her and the people she worked with if she didn't care like that.

Tying my hair into a loose pony tail and changing into somewhat loose comfortable clothing I sat down at the desk on my room and made a call, it was probably early morning in Louisville, the time difference was a drag but he had to answer, and on the first ring, he did. "Hello poppy." He mumbled as I'm sure he stiffled a yawn. "Hey Lincoln." I replied sighing into the phone. "I'm guessing this isn't a social call." He asserted and I chuckled. "Yeah, it's not, I didn't want to involve Dwayne, he has a lot, plus the kids—." I sighed as a chuckle on the other side made it to my ears. "You don't need to explain poppy, I know." He exclaimed as a small smile etched itself on my lips. "I can't do this on my own Linc, I need help." I whispered on the phone and he hummed. "I was waiting for you to realize that, but you're right on time, I was planning on coming anyway when your intimidating mate told me everything." He confessed making me laugh, here he was Lincoln Dante, my alpha, confessing that my almost human mate was intimidating.

"He's not that scary." I mumbled in my mate's defence and another  person on the other end scoffed. "To you, because he's your mate." Lani asserted alerting me that Lincoln was home, I had just woken them up, now I felt bad. "Its normal Cherry blossom, even if your mate was a prison husband, he'd still be the best for you and to you." Lincoln added making me roll my eyes. "Back to seriousness please." I cut in and they both laughed. "Im on my way poppy sit tight." Linc asserts and I knew soon he would be here, and I wouldn't be surrounded by people I knew could betray me at any given moment. "Thanks Lincoln." I responded as I cut the call, now I had to get ready, how would I rescue those children, as my thoughts went on a tail spin, my wolf cried out to me, something wasn't right, I had to go now, instead of waiting for help.

Quickly I began stuffing things into my cross body bag, it could carry the essential stuff I needed, the rest I would improvise when I went head first into the wolves den, those children needed me, I just knew they did and if I was too late, they would die. I sighed heavily, I had to change yet again, so I did, then made my way downstairs to the backyard, once there I sniffed the air for any scents, no wolf was around, and no one would be there to see me run across pack territory to the old hospital. "Goddess watch over me." I sent up a quick prayer as I took off into the woods, I ran in a sprint non stop, trees blurred past me, as I pushed myself harder, over fallen trees, boulders and past plains, I evaded the pack house and surrounding buildings successfully until I came to the small clearing where I assaulted Enzo, not my finest moment.

Breathing heavily to try and calm myself I finally got a grip in a few minutes, I was close, but from here on out, I knew I had to be careful, pulling up the map on my phone I marked the area I was in and the place I needed to be, I had a bit more distance to cover so with my phone safely tucked away, I broke into a sprint again, the dim glow of the pack house lights and its surroundings faded away in the darkness, I was deep in pack territory now, the parts where only brave wolves dared to come, this was perfect to run an operation like Denara was, no one would ever think to look there, a scent made it to my nose, one, two, three, I began picking them up, I was being followed, by the alpha, his son, the beta, just my luck. I skidded to a stop and crouched down behind a tree, they stopped too, but closer.

I didn't need this, I needed a plan that worked, not stragglers who would die, making sure no one else was around I walked toward the three. "I can smell you." I called out and alpha Harrison in his wolf form was the first to walk out from the thick shrubs followed by the other two, they all shifted and I looked away, that was a lot to see and digest. "Don't be shy, you've seen us all naked before." Tai muttered and I rolled my eyes. "Never meant I enjoyed it, that aside, why are you following me?" I demanded and the alpha walked up to me with a burning conviction in his eyes. "Some of those kids are from my pack, and the rest maybe rogues, but they have families who love them, and we are going to help you rescue them, no arguments, no debates, just tell us how we can help." The alpha responded and I knew I couldn't deny his words, plus the help I needed.

"Stay silent, and try not to shift unnecessarily, you don't know what you're heading into, best be able to defend yourself, and here's the plan." I explained in greater detail what we needed to do, and how it would be done, of course the alphas didn't like it but they kept their tongues in check, I wondered why Enzo had come along after what had happened, he also seemed to have become somewhat of a silent man, had his pride been taken away or was this another ploy, I could never understand him now, and the best part, I didn't need to, I had other things to worry about. After going over the plan again, we made it to the old building, it was worn down and very near collapse, we made it inside without tripping any alarms which was a good thing but with the blue prints my mate sent me, we had more to worry about.

"I found the elevator opening." Tai called out and we all made our way to him, he opened it for me and just as I expected, it was a hollow space, decrepit and would collapse with too much pressure but it was the only way down to the basement level we needed to get to without alerting anyone, so I went in first, used the thick wires that were once part of the rigging to help move it, down to the basement, Tai followed next and slid down gracefully, Enzo being bulkier made a slight thud when he got to the floor just like his father. "They are here, I can smell them." Enzo muttered as his eyes focused past the elevator doors that led to another obstacle we had to pass. Grabbing one door, Enzo grabbed another we pulled in different directions opening the doors.

"Whoa." Tai gasped making me turn to look at what had shocked him, and when I saw it, I was equally stunned, it was a fully functional green house, with every plant imaginable that could grow down here, Denara had really gone all out. "How could we have missed this place." Alpha Harrison whispered looking around. "You've never bothered to look." I replied coldly as I walked toward another door which led outside of the green house, the sounds of machines and clanging of chains made it to my ears, I was sure that's where the kids were, just as the feeling of this whole endeavour being too easy started to creep up on me. I just didn't indulge it long enough. I grabbed a knife from my bag and used it to pick the door, subtlety would work best, not brute force, when I opened the door, my heart constricted, how could anyone be so cruel.

+++

Saint_Jay