16.

Beings of emotion cannot and will never stop feeling, no matter how broken they may be.

Al Silva, futurepast.

~'°|

Carter Defray.

"They are all sedated, two are dead." Enzo spoke without showing any glimmer of emotion, I was still frozen in place, bombarded by pain that wasn't my own and it was crippling me inside, how could they be so cruel, how could they break them so badly to the point where their will to live was non existent, Denara was a monster, now I finally understood that, as their pain bombarded me I didn't know what to do, how would I save them, most of them were past salvation. "Cherry, I know, I know you can feel their pain, more than we do, but you're the best suited to help them, you've got us this far, you need to get us the rest of the way." Tai comforted me softly standing next to me, he was right, I had to pull myself together so that I could help them.

So I nodded in affirmation that I was okay, and turned to look at the forty children in cages, all broken, two dead. "Alpha Harrison go scout past the entrance and see if there are any more children, Tai you'll help me get them out, Enzo please check our exit, the moment we break them out Tai will guide them through you." I instructed the men around me and they all got into action to do their tasks, we broke the locks on the cages without a care for the noise, they were getting out no matter what. "Carter why aren't they leaving, or moving?" Tai questioned and that when I noticed it, the children, they were in their wolf forms but even then, they weren't leaving. "Please you have got to move, fight, to live." I pleaded with their wolves but nothing, that's when I decided to open myself once more to their emotions.

It was all pain, and the lack of will. "They aren't there, they have experienced so much trauma in here that they gave control to their wolves and retreated into the deepest parts of their minds to escape, I don't know if I can pull them out." I explained to Tai who seemed to deflate in that instant, what could we do. "You need to help them, I know its in you cherry, you can bring back their will to live." He asserted and I was stunned, my gift was over emotions, and a will, that wasn't emotion, that was an innate part of any person, I'd never reached that. "I know you're telling yourself you cant right now, but I know you can, just try." He assured and I knew I had to atleast try, than never have done anything at all.

"Please, listen to me." I spoke projecting my emotions to every wolf in the lab, pushing deep into the beings. "I know you've been hurt, tortured and broken by the people who took you, and I know the man who did it, told you that you wouldn't be able to break free, to leave because you were weak, unloved, but that's not true, you might've felt that no one came for you, but we did, you were never forgotten, that's why they hid you here, so that it would be easier to make you believe that no one would come, but we are here, we've come for you, you're wolves, extraordinary creatures, you are powerful, and your will, no one can break it, because its just like your second soul, no one can take it from you." As I finished tears had fallen from my eyes, my own grief and pain, something I could relate with these children, but like my mate who helped me, told me the words I've told them, I knew it would make an impact.

Their eyes began to change, a light finally showing, hope. "Follow me." I spoke softly leading the way, Tai carried the two dead wrapped in the sheets he had ripped from goddess knows where. "Keep going straight, take the stairs, you'll find the exit to the ground floor." Tai conveyed Enzo's message and I followed it without question, some of the children were still in wolf form others had shifted, it didn't matter though, they kept up silently as we climbed the flight of stairs that seemed to go on forever. "Wait!' Tai whisper yelled and we all stood still. "Something is coming, run!" The moment those words left his lips,we all broke into a sprint, whatever Tai had heard it wasn't friendly if he said to run, as we got to the last flight of stairs I opened the door for the children, they ran through whilst I made count. "Get into the woods, shift and stay hidden, don't try to run." I instructed and without hesitation they did as told.

The loud growl of a wolf alerted me that I wasn't alone, we had company. "Rogues." Tai informed me as he barrel rolled over to me with two bodies he held onto for dear life. "This doesn't have to get ugly." I called out but a scoff made me realize that it just might. "But it does." A voice I knew all too well replied along with it was a gunshot. "Ah, Denara stop." Alpha Harrison hissed in pain as he had been shot in the leg by his mate, didn't she feel the pain. "Denara." I spat looking at the almost 6ft woman, she was strong, had a beautiful build and beautiful, that I could give her but her emotions, they gave away just how ruthless and vile she was. "Hello Carter." She replied with a smile as more rogues surrounded us and alpha Harrison got to his feet with Tai's help.

"Im not even going to ask why you're doing this, I'm just going to kill you." I growled out my hands shifting into claws. "Feisty, no wonder my son wanted you back, you're no longer the wimpy little brat." She asserted as I got ready to pounce but before I could, she shot her mate. "None of that now, or I will hit vital spots." She warned just I pulled back. "Don't you feel any pain, he's your mate." Tai accused the woman who scoffed in pure amusement. "This deluded husk of a wolf, I seduced him for his power, after I killed his mate of course, we couldn't have an affair, its not in any wolf's nature, so I did what I had to, it got me what I wanted." She revealed making Tai and I realize how she could easily kill and manipulate the pack wolves, she was never part of them, nor cared for them.

"Its me you hate Denara, let them go." Alpha Harrison spoke as he stood in front of Tai. "I won't be doing that." She replied as Enzo in his wolf form burst through a wall with another equally large rogue, he made quick work of it and killed it, he turned in time to see his mother pointing a gun at his father. "Hey kiddo, I didn't intend on you finding out like this." She addressed Enzo who shifted back to witness more horror. "Mother, you're behind all this." He accused and she chuckled. "I can't take all the credit, your father did fund all of it, knew to a certain degree what was going on until he decided to grow a conscience, he became soft, so I wiped the slate clean." She exclaimed and that's when it all fit, the alpha's missing memories.

"You suppressed his memories, but how?" I answered with a question and she clapped her hands. "You deserve a prize Carter, you managed to rip apart what I built for years in the space of two and half weeks, clearly you take after your family, you Defrays have always been annoyingly brilliant—." She hissed and my wolf was proud. "To answer your question, a good poison is all I needed to suppress his memories, make him forget and after that  he went back to being my lovely husband but now, since you all know what I've been up to I think it's time you all die." She finally concluded, gun trained on Enzo. "You would kill your own son?" I demanded as Enzo was still in disbelief. "Without question." She replied in a whisper as alpha Harrison jumped to cover Enzo, the bullet drenched in wolfsbane went right for his throat.

"Dad!" Enzo yelled as Tai moved to check on him. "Kill them all." Denara instructed the rogues as she made her escape, we couldn't follow her, the alpha was slowly fading and rogues were attacking. "Boys we need to fight and get clear." I asserted as the first rogue pounced on me, I side stepped to the left, shifted my claws and tore through it with them, Tai shifted completely as he went into the frey and began killing them, much like Enzo who also shifted, I pulled off my pants and bag and shifted, dragged the alpha's body away from the rogues but I was soon surrounded, with no choice I joined in the killing, the first one we rolled on the ground as it tried to claw my eyes out, I used my hind legs to push it off, lunged for it and bit down on its neck tearing it out.

The more that followed I tore off limbs and smashed them into the wall, giving my wolf control he went on a frenzy, clawing at their eyes, blinding them, then pouncing to attack and kill. I should have known he would use our gift to gain an advantage, in wolf form my wolf could use my gift as well and he did, inducing fear on the rogues so that they hesitated, Enzo and Tai noticed it and finished them off easily, when the fighting was done, we were bloody and wounded, all three of us shifted back and I quickly grabbed my pants and bag, we ran to where I had dragged the alpha, but it was too late, alpha Harrison was dead, the bullet was coated in more poison than just wolfsbane, a howl broke from Enzo as he called on the pack, the alpha was dead.

+++

Saint_Jay