19.

To face your fears, you must accept that you are afraid, do not let the false bravado of others make you feel powerful, your emotions empower you, before you even need the encouragement from others.

Carter Defray Senior.

|~•°

Carter.

"What is her end game?" I questioned myself holding the invitation card to a memorial gala being help at the pack house by Denara, she was obviously up to something but what. "Wasn't she the alpha's mate?" Saint asks and I nod."But truthfully, they were husband and wife, tied by duty, Denara did confess to actually killing Harrison's mate then being his shoulder to cry on after, no one truly knows where she came from, and I'm sure her sinister plot had been in the making for a while." I explained as we all fell back into deep thought. "This is definitely just an excuse to seem as if she had nothing to do with killing her husband, and why is Lorenzo Harrison going along with it, doesn't make sense." Lincoln asserted his thoughts and he was right, what intrigued me aswell, was why both beta and alpha weren't doing anything about it.

"She's a slippery woman, I'm sure she talked her way out of it." I muttered and it seemed to make sense, Enzo couldn't really kill his own mother. "Maybe so, we have to attend the memorial, it's the only opportunity we have to get to Denara." Lincoln stated leaving no room to argue and I knew his mind was made up so Saint and I didn't bother. "Let's get ready then." I mumbled walking out of the small living room we were in, the hotel we had booked had three adjoined bedrooms so it was convenient for all of us. Walking into my room I locked the door behind me and breathed hard, whatever would happen next, I had to come out alive, not just for me but my family and my pack, I also had to look the part.

Taking a quick shower, I dried myself off whilst going through my clothes, it was a gala, I had to look the part. "What are you wearing?" Saint asks as I open the door for him, he was wearing high waist navy pants, a sheer and lace tucked shirt, an assortment of black and gold chains, bold and dark make up with a pink lip that popped with colour. "First, you look absolutely gorgeous, I'm living for your outfit." I complimented him as we walked into my closet. "I was thinking of wearing a one piece jumpsuit, keep it simple yet elegant, match the cobalt blue with lengthy block heels, a full face of bold make up, and my signature cherry lip." I explained to Saint who didn't waste time helping me get into it, in about an hour we were done. "A black choker just to tease." He whispered in my ear as he clipped on the lacy choker with small diamond pieces on it, like him adorned with rocks, he went crazy with my jewelry.

"Whoa, did I walk into the right room?" Lincoln teased as he walked in looking just perfect, if we both weren't married, I'd definitely pine over him. His blood red suit with black trimmings and slim fit pants made him look scrumptious, he had black diamond studs, and his designer shoes weren't looking to get dirty. He screamed dominance, money, power, lust and a dash of attractive cockiness. "You two have outdone yourselves yet again, I'm sure they will be jealous when I show up with my two beauties." He began again making me roll my eyes. "Stop it player, we are gonna be late." Saint chides him but he scoffs. "We are Dantes, we'll take any opportunity to make a dramatic entrance." He retorts making all of us laugh, he wasn't wrong, as an honorary Dante, I did take any opportunity to make that lasting impression.

"Do you have your phones, knives and deadly others on your persons?" Lincoln asks dramatically. "Ofcourse we do." My closest friend and I reply in unison as we make our way to the car, with the look on Lincoln's face, he was satisfied. "I taught you well." He mumbled as we drove for the pack and it was true, he had taught us well. The memorial was about to begin as we found an empty spot to park by, you would think that with how horrible Harrison and his beta had been, there would be a small turn out, it had actually been a large one. "Here we go." I whispered to myself as Saint squeezed my hand, he was here with me and so was Linc, I wasn't alone, I'd never be alone.

"My lovelies." The alpha with us offers both his arms as we make our way to the main door, it seemed as if everything and everyone froze as we stood by the door. "Never fails to freeze time." Saint jokes, I knew he meant the dramatic entrance, it always made everything freeze. I chuckled as we finally took steps past other wolves who parted for us, it was as if they just knew to back away, I had to wonder why later, as Katherine unlike everyone else made her way toward us. "Royalty graces us." She teases with a curtsy causing us to chuckle. "It wouldn't be a memorial without the actual stars of the show." I retorted as we all laughed. "You all look divine, alpha, you have some mighty enticing treasure." She compliments as she nods toward Saint and I. "Thank you— I never got your name." The alpha mutters and I knew that was our cue.

"Drink?" I asked Lincoln. "Yes, you know my favorite." He replies patting my back, Saint and I make our way to the serving table. "Its not bad at all, could've used a touch more sophistication." I mumbled and he nudged me with his elbow. "What, Im only saying, its not tacky  just seems hurried." I exclaimed making him scoff. "It doesn't matter, we are here because we got invited, so let's drink their wine like guests." He replies as he grabs the bottle from the waiter and pours a full glass. "You have some nerve being here." Tai growls toward me as Tori stood next to him silently. "Where would I be, if not an event I was invited to." I replied the beta flashing the invitation we got. "So you came, for what, to see how badly you've hurt us, to gloat in your revenge." He adds walking up to me and slightly trying to intimidate me.

"Tai, if I were you, I'd back off before I actually break you worse than I did before." I whispered slowly as my eyes glowed a ring of deep canary and green. If he wanted to intimidate me and threaten me, I was very happy with putting him in his place again. "Carter, stop it, the lawyer told us you killed Irina, he didn't even know how you did it just that he saw you tell her what to do and the next thing, she was trying to rip out her own heart." Tori finally said it, the answer to the million dollar question. "What lawyer?" Saint demands and I grab his hand. "We are done here excuse us." I leave with Saint in tow, once we were clear of any wolves I relaxed. "On the list, there was another man, I had completely ignored him because he seemed insignificant bu—" Before I could finish Denara appeared by the stairs that led to the first floor calling everyone's attention.

"Everyone, thank you for joining us today, we have  lost great people within our community and our pack, tonight we shall honor their lives and contribution to the growth of our pack, and thank them, wherever they are, for being part of our lives, as my husband always expressed in his own way, love fully, live truly and bloom gracefully, thank you everyone, enjoy." She addressed everyone looking perfectly poised, no one truly grieving looked that alright. "Im guessing he's the one she just went off to whisper with." Saint asserts nodding toward the luna who was talking to a man in hushed whispers, even with wolf hearing I couldn't make it out since there were so many people. "Im going in, cover me." I told Saint who nodded toward Lincoln. "Be careful, and keep the link open." He exclaims just as I begin my slow ascend toward Denara.

Once by the first floor, I smiled toward her. "Carter dear, how wonderful that you joined us tonight with the Louisville pack alpha, he's certainly a man everyone either adores, wants to sleep with or wants to be." She commented as I slightly giggled. "You would think there would only be one of him, the goddess made two." I indulged Denara until I stood beside her. "You and I need to talk." I demand holding her wrist painfully that she winced. "Right this way." She led the way as I relayed everything to my backup, if anything happened, they would act quickly. She opened the door to what I assumed was the alpha's spacious office, once inside she didn't waste time throwing a knife at my head.

+++

Saint_Jay